Efficiency on the motorway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficiency on the motorway

I'm thinking of getting a Hilux Surf (2.4 1991) but I do a lot of motorway driving. How efficient do you think it would be on a long run?

Originally posted by GeorgeEgg
    I'm thinking of getting a Hilux Surf (2.4 1991) but I do a lot of motorway driving. How efficient do you think it would be on a long run?
    Some claim 22-24 MPG. I reckon that I get about 26-27 MPG on a run but my truck seems to be higher geared than most and will happily cruise at 70 with 2500 RPM showing on the tacho. I guess best fuel economy will be when cruising at 50 - 55MPH as that is when the gearbox locks up. I have big trouble keeping down to that sort of speed though.

Sorry, where are my manners - Welcome to the forum.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I can get 27mpg if I stick at about 65 - 68, but it drops nearer 22mpg at 80mph. however it seems to get no worse towing a sodding great box trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I reckon that I get about 26-27 MPG on a run but my truck seems to be higher geared than most and will happily cruise at 70 with 2500 RPM showing on the tacho.
        are you serious! mine is doing over 3000rpm at that speed! if i right i reckon 33's will reduce it a bit
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I've only had the car 3 weeks but it's mpg figures so far have really surprised me, I got 25.5 after about 60% motorway and 40% town driving but when I did a long run I got over 28mpg.
          Filled tank with 51 litres after 320miles clocked (it was virtually empty so I guess I have a 55 litre tank).

Comment

2 Points to make here.

1, get a 3 litre if you do a lot of motorway driving, the 2.4 will feel way too slow coming down the slip to join the motorway and you will end up flooring it to get up to speed which will use loads of fuel. The 3 litre has sufficient torque to get up to speed with only a gentle foot (i have had both so feel qualified to comment)

2, tryre choice and pressure will have big influence on MPG. choose wisely and you should see 27MPG out of a 3 litre.

The 3 litre uses on average only a tiny amount more fuel than the 2.4 I would bet you that on a motorway at 70 the situation would be reversed and lets be honest, you aint gunna spend all day at 55MPH on the motorway to save a few quid are you?

Get a 3 litre for motorway use

Al.
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

By god! 2500 at 70MPH I'd give my right eyeball for that.
              I'm pulling slightly shy of 2900 at 70mph with about 25-26mpg.
              I get about 18mpg with 2 ton on the back.
              How come there are so many differences with what is in essence the same truck?
              Better still how do I reduce my revs?
              Last edited by sheeprus; 24 April 2006, 15:33.
              I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

Fuel consumption..?

Drove to Southampton from Weymouth at the weekend. Filled up to top in Weymouth and set trip to 0km. At end of weekend I had done 275km (170 miles). I used 25 litres to do 170 miles so I worked out I had done 30 to the gallon (imperial) average. I have a 1993 2.4 Turbo Deisel Auto and averaged 65/70mph on the motorway and 55/60mph on other roads - essentially stuck to the speed limits. I just let the vehicle get to speed without flooring it. They ain't fast but stay at the top end pretty well. I have found that driving it smoothly works very well for saving a few pennies on fuel!

Comment

Originally posted by sheeprus
                  thats still much lower than my surf. what could cause this? im on 31's
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    thats still much lower than my surf. what could cause this? im on 31's

Gearbox oil condition does have an effect on the revs for a given speed in any auto. Check condition of oil and level. If its ever been burned or seriously overheated it looses efficiency and so the engine will have to produce more revs to get to the same speed as a simillar car with an auto box in tip top order.

Al.
                    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Thanks for the advise - nice and honest. I called someone who has another one for sale (2.4 again 1991 as well) and he said it did 30-35 around town and 40-45 on the motorway. I think he's lying don't you!?

Comment

mine does brighton and back on 2 jerry cans... Tadley and back twice for a tenner!

that's the latest data i have!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

brighton was motorway driving... Tadley uses country roads
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by sheeprus
                            I started a survey a while back. Mine reads 70MPH at 2500 RPM with O/D on. The gearbox used to lock at 50 MPH but seems to lock at 48 MPH since I fitted 31" tyres. I would have expected it to lock a little later. When I first got the truck I was getting 26-28 MPG on a motorway run but that was with road tyres. I am now running Marshall Venture MTs.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for the advise - nice and honest. I called someone who has another one for sale (2.4 again 1991 as well) and he said it did 30-35 around town and 40-45 on the motorway. I think he's lying don't you!?
                              Nah, he's not lying, he's just talking in KM's instead of miles!!

Comment

Working...
                              X