Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the diffence to a Landcruiser?

hi
    I have just driven a surf 3rd gen 3litre td. It was nice, and suprisingly nippy. But I started thinking...what is the key differences to a surf and a landcruiser of the same age?

Just the body looks and inside I think. Mechanically, its the same as a landcruiser aint it?.

Comment

Here in Australia we have a Landcruiser Prado which shares many things such as engine and chassis of the 3rd gen Surf. The Landcruiser is a totally different vehicle.

Nev

Comment

Usually Full time 4WD and axle / centre difflocks. Also Lc's tend to be a hell of alot heavier but then again, out here and except for the Prados, they all come with 6 cylinder 4.2L engines!
        @africa4x4cafe
        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by smego
          Just the body looks and inside I think. Mechanically, its the same as a landcruiser aint it?.
          Mechanical differences include the Landcruiser Colorado/Prado having permanent non-selectable 4wd, disc's on the rear, longer heavier suspension springs to cope with the heavier body, and I think they all had the intercooler fitted.

The body is larger and completely different although it does sit on the same chassis
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

some of the older cruisers coming with locking diffs
            Gaz

Comment

Basically it does depend on whether you are talking the small Land cruiser (Prado or Colorado - 90 series) or the large Landcruiser (80 or 100 series).

Land Cruisers have pretty much come as two sizes of vehicle since the 55 Series came out. The larger ones (55, 60, 80, 100) all came with larger engines, more comfort, always LWB.

The Smaller ones (40, 70, 90 and 120) tend to come with smaller engines and depending on whether they were designated as Heavy Duty or Light Duty (&0 series only) had either IFS or solid front axle. The Heavy Duty 70 series also came with the larger Diesel engines (1HZ, 1HDT) and are probably the most sought after Cruiser when you really need to rely on it in the middle of no-where. Also available in SWB, LWB, Tray Back, troopie, van, softtop etc body styles.

The 90 Series Prado or Colorado is similar in a lot of ways (Chassis, engine) as the 3rd Gen Surf. Body is the only real difference. Also in most countries the Prado/Colorado is available outside the Japanese domestic market, the Surf is not available and the opposite holds true. Therefore the Prado was never officially available in the US but the 4 Runner was, the Colorado was available in the UK but the Surf/4 Runner wasn't in 3rd gen form.

Comment

The import of the Prado by Toyota Australia was one reason the import of Surfs was stopped here. I guess they saw the Surfs as too much competition.

Nev

Comment

Hmmm, landcruiser prado... discs on rear (I did hear that right didn't I)

With the FJ-80 master cylinder... we could no have uprated brakes on the surf... Hmmm....

Comment

I'd much rather have a 3rd gen Surf than a Colorado/Prado, far nicer looking.

Always room for a Amazon though, but that is a completely different beasty.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      I'd much rather have a 3rd gen Surf than a Colorado/Prado, far nicer looking.
                      Same here. Wouldn't have a Prado if Toyota Australia gave me one. If they did I'd swap it for a 3rd gen Surf. There are a few available in Australia. Rare compared to the second gen though.

Nev

Comment

Yes I'd agree on that, I think the 90 series is too tall and thin looking, looks like it would topple over on corners bit like the Terrano 2

Comment

Seems to me the main practical difference is the prado / colarado has the 2 occasional seats in the boot. They also seem to cost more than a 3rd gen, well they did when I was looking anyway.
                          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Main reason Toyota stopped doing 4runners/surfs... make more money on a landcruiser...

Comment

Originally posted by rigsby
                              what is the key differences to a surf and a landcruiser of the same age?
                              1) Cheaper.
                              2) Surf has higher spec & more 'extras' fitted as standard.
                              3) Surf won't have towed anything (yet!) most UK Landcruisers will come with a towbar and the uncertain history that goes with it.
                              4) A UK Landcruiser will have been driven on salted roads for x years (no road salt used in Japan).
                              5) A UK Landcruiser (well any UK 4x4) will stink of dogs and/or fags.
                              6) New import Surfs are less likely to have been offroad.
                              7) UK Landcruiser will have many more miles on the engine (though not necessarily on the clock (a Top 10 car for odometer crimes apparently!)).
                              8) A Japanese car tends to be better looked after than the same age UK equivalent.

Any more?

Comment

Working...
                              X