No power to stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to stereo

I have a problem... no power to stereo. Press the pwr button and nowt happens. Looked at the fuse boxes, one inside the surf and the one in the engine bay, but cannot see one which might be for the stereo. Anyone know if the fault is actually the fuse or another simple fix?

Thanks

there is usually a fuse in the back of the actual head unit (around 10 amp) is there any supply power to the unit?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      there is usually a fuse in the back of the actual head unit (around 10 amp) is there any supply power to the unit?
      Head unit? Do you mean the one in the engine bay?

Comment

Head unit is the actual stereo. There's normally a fuse in the back of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Head unit is the actual stereo. There's normally a fuse in the back of it.
          Ahhh, ok, thanks. Don't know how to get the stereo out though. I should have mentioned beforehand its a 3rd gen surf. Sorry. Thanks for your advice mate

I have found the instructions for removing the radio. Heaven knows why toyota could not have done it different.
          Last edited by smego; 22 April 2006, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by smego
            Ahhh, ok, thanks. Don't know how to get the stereo out though. I should have mentioned beforehand its a 3rd gen surf. Sorry. Thanks for your advice mate

I have found the instructions for removing the radio. Heaven knows why toyota could not have done it different.
            it's easier on a 3rd gen... no glovebox removal!... takes about 10mins.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Before ripping the dash out try disconnecting the battery/batteries for a few seconds, some stereos tend to lock up every now and then and just need resetting.
              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by smego
                I have a problem... no power to stereo. Press the pwr button and nowt happens. Looked at the fuse boxes, one inside the surf and the one in the engine bay, but cannot see one which might be for the stereo. Anyone know if the fault is actually the fuse or another simple fix?

Thanks
                The fuse for the sterio is a 15 amp in the internal fusebox under the ignition, if it is this then the clock wont work or the mirrors. Hope this helps
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Right, I have took the stereo out. I removed all fuses to check if any had gone, and all looked fine. Got scary when I saw a couple of wires which were not connected up to anything. One was pink/red with naked copper wire exposed. God knows where that is from. Noticed a blue and white striped wire had been cut which was connected up to the middle plug which fits into the middle socket at the back of the stereo. The clock and all bits still work fine after replacing everything and screwing back up. No fuse or owt on the radio itself. Instead of removing the battery leads to all, I unplugged the radio from its power supply and connected back up and no joy. I guess the stereo is shot then?.

Comment

it would be worth checking the stereo has power from the battery.
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Check the dome fuse in the bonnet fuse board, Some how or other (and I haven't tampered with this circuit (probably the only one I haven't touched)) the permenent live comes form the dome on mine, (I pulled the radio fuse and the phone turned off!!!).
                      If not just give the rest of the fuses a quick look at in case the jap owner rewired it before shipping.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

You should check for power at the plug into the radio before buying a new radio.

Look at your wires.

You should have four cables that are dif.colours. a second pair of four in the same colour with lines on them.

the 8 in total form your speaker wiring. 2 cables to each of the four speakers ok.

This should leave you two or maybe three.

Live - red or brown

Earth

Ignition Live Yellow or red

If you have these three, use a multimeter on a 20V DC setting and test each of the three with one lead whilst holding the other lead to a good earth point on the bodywork.

You should beable to find the perm. live and ignition live this way.

If you have both, the chances are your radio is up the ****
                        if you don't you know where to start looking.

As for a multimeter, if you don't have one, look up any electrical wholesaler and ask for a DIGITAL multimeter. SHouldn't cost you more than £10 and will be a valuable tool to keep in your box for later fault finding.

Hope this helps

good luck

sparky

Comment

Thanks for that one Sparky, I will have to get a multi metre and try to home in, in case it still could be the electrics. Also, thanks to others who have helped with advice too. Good chaps indeed

Comment

Working...
                          X