Fifth Gear Crash Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifth Gear Crash Test

who else thinks it was a bit of a con job.....Older Land Rover Disco vs a newer Renault Espace....of course the newer crumple zones etc will fair better for the occupants. Maybe just a little tainted journalism in trying to move people out of 4x4s???

Whilst alot of older 4x4s are on the road, there are just as many older MPVs, so why not test like for like [age for age]

Same age 4x4 vs MPV to show a true result. Believe this would have been a better journalistic effort [without bias in results and journalistic efforts]
    Last edited by Gizmo; 17 April 2006, 21:03.
    Gaz

Yup!
    Didn't that Discovery fold up tho?!

Comment

lets hope so
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I thought it fair though and wasn't surprised at the result.

There are for more 5/6yr old Disco's on school run than 1yr old Espaces, the common misconception is that that Disco's etc are safer than other cars in the minds of the less informed.

like for like could have been a different outcome though, but the disco at 3 times the price of the Espace made their selection more real to the every day school run, unless of course you live in Chelsea.

Just my thoughts.

Steve
        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

I think it was last year that they tested an old espace against a new one. And the results were that the driver of the old one would probably have died while the driver of the new one would have walked away!!!

Its all down to the new crumple zones
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I am now based at Renault London West 2 days a week now and can vouch that those new Espaces can take a good slap and still be repairable . I see all sorts of damage to them and if you look at the construction there is not much to them .
            To many electronics for my liking though .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

O.K. so this was a head on conflict. However what about a rear end shunt? Would you sit your kid in the rear crumple zone of a MPV?

Spoggle

Comment

my neighbours got one loads of probs
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

My middle brother had an early Espace. He wrapped it round a tree but my sister in law still wouldn't let him have a Surf!

A lot of the tests they do on 5th Gear are unrealistic. Last year they smacked a Smart Car into the centre barriers of a mocked up motorway at 70MPH and stood marvelling at how the driver/passenger cabin was still intact, until the expert on hand said that they would have died from massive internal injuries anyway.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle
                    O.K. so this was a head on conflict. However what about a rear end shunt? Would you sit your kid in the rear crumple zone of a MPV?

Spoggle
                    nah... put them in the passenger compartment... far safer!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

It was a bit like the test where they showed how easy it was to roll a very tired old Ra**e R***r if you suddenly turn left at 40 mph
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                      X