Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Mileage

Gday guys,

I was wondering what kind of mileage you are all experiencing? I have a 3.0L TD Surf and I get about 20 to 21mpg on highway. Personally I think that is pretty bad considering my old ford fairlane 250CI got the same.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    WTF Newbie surfer? Been surfing since 1996!

hi there
    only had my surf a few weeks now and it seems to be getting between 25-30 mpg .hope this helps

Comment

Not bad! What engine do you have?

Chris.

Never mind. I saw it in your user info. Cheers....

Comment

You should be getting at least 25 out of a 3.0 driven normally, and pushing 30 if you drive sensibly.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We average about 27 mpg around town, taking the dog out etc , but cruising on holiday last summer we averaged 34 mpg over 750 miles.
          Not bad for 2 tons of truck with the aerodynamics of a brick!
          Keith

Comment

Tony, what sorts of things contribute to lower than ideal mpg?

I'm not talking about the usual things such as soft tyres, dirty air filter, heavy right foot etc. What are the more subtle things that affect it?

PS. STILL after diagrams of how ECT works / gearbox control electronics etc in my quest to change the point at which lock-up drops out. I reckon there's more mpg to be had this way, particularly on long runs when your speed doesn't drop below 40mpg. The 3.0 should easy push along at 40mph in lock-up as long as you don't demand sudden acceleration changes / drive up hills.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Tony, what sorts of things contribute to lower than ideal mpg?

I'm not talking about the usual things such as soft tyres, dirty air filter, heavy right foot etc. What are the more subtle things that affect it?
              The things you listed make the big differences, but little things about how you drive can help, don't leave it in Drive if your stopped in a queue, avoid giving it enough throttle to kickdown when driving normally, don't just mash the throttle down, let the truck smoothly build up speed, don't just accelerate untill your at the speed you want to be, feed the power on gently and cruise up to the speed limit.
              Other silly stuff is close windows, lose the bull bars and wind deflectors, road tyres, etc.

But getting too antsy about MPG can ruin the enjoyment of driving, so just have fun, I enjoy the driving, not how fast it gets there.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

21 mpg combined so far
                but it has to be said i do have a heavy foot
                oh yeah and i have been known to drive at 90 mph
                i dont understand how i manage to get 21 out of it really
                at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
                  21 mpg combined so far
                  but it has to be said i do have a heavy foot
                  oh yeah and i have been known to drive at 90 mph
                  i dont understand how i manage to get 21 out of it really
                  gee-whiz fella?!?!? what does that feel like. 80mph, off a cliff, wind behind me, leaning as far forward as possible, holding my breath and praying...thats if i'm very, very lucky!!!
                  i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                    gee-whiz fella?!?!? what does that feel like. 80mph, off a cliff, wind behind me, leaning as far forward as possible, holding my breath and praying...thats if i'm very, very lucky!!!

Mine cracks 90 in a breath. I bet it would do the ton if i tried. Im not going to of course as its pointless. But 90 is no problem at all.

I actually do drive at 70 on dc's and motorway, just did the 90 thing one day to see how easy/hard it was compared to my last surf (EASY)

Al.
                    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

just done a 20 mile run moving a 3 seat sofa (which fitted no prob even closed tailgate...love this wagon) and i did in fact get it pushed up to 85 ish, it felt fine and just as responsive as at 70 (my norm cruise speed) but had literally nothing else to give.
                      what sort of pace are other 2.4TD's getting?
                      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

just done a 20 mile run moving a 3 seat sofa (which fitted no prob even closed tailgate...love this wagon) and i did in fact get it pushed up to 85 ish, it felt fine and just as responsive as at 70 (my norm cruise speed) but had literally nothing else to give.
                        what sort of pace are other 2.4TD's getting?
                        it will do 80 if you dont go up an incline but its not nice driving it there as its revving so high.
                        85 is tops really but i tend to drive 65-70
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

it feels like a 3.0L! - I havn't managed to check the speedo, I think it reads about 8-10% high but on a couple of odd occaisions , honest , yes officer, the needle has gone round to the odometer zeroing button - so you tell me what it was doing! I must admit it crused up to that no problem at all, and was rock steady. consumption suffered a bit but have not returned less than 22 (so could be 20 if the clock is 10% fast)
                          2 ton of big T looming in your mirror....get out the way!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

3.0TD at 94mph according to my GPS... on private land - obviously... felt like it coula have gone a bit faster.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Interesting mileage to say the least. I can drive it heavy or light. When I am on highway I do the speed limit (110KPH) and do not push the throttle too hard but only get 20 to 21 mpg. I don't know why my mileage sucks then. I have a clean air filter and do regular servicing.
                              Speaking of speed I was driving home from a mine site about 6 months ago and was sitting on 150KPH and I used 3/4s of a tank of diesel in 140KM's heh! She likes to drink the fuel at that speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X