Tyres question from a newbie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres question from a newbie...

As you can see from my status I am new to this forum, I am also a new owner of a 1994 4Runner 3.0TD (UK).

I have just bought the vehicle and I've noticed the spare tyre is a different size to my others.

The spare is a 265/70 R15 Dunlop, where as my road tyres are 235/75 R15 BFGoodrich.

What are the tyres this car should be running on?

I would obviously prefer to just change the spare but there is no mention in my handbook of the 235/75 R15 I've got.
    I don't know what pressure they should be at or if they are better or worse than my spare.

I will be doing the vast majority of my driving on road as opposed to off road (unless I can find somewhere decent to take the car off road in South East England but that's another question).

Your help will be much appreciated...

I would not worry too much about the actual tyres on it as there are various sizes and profiles that can be used without any problems - just depends on any lift, if you have the wide wheel arches or not etc.

But, yes the spare should be the same size so as long as you have no probs with the current tyres then just replace that.
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Okay great, thanks!

It does have extra arches so I suppose I could get wider tyres at some stage but I'm not fussed.

Do you know what the tyre pressure should be?
      They're currently inflated to 2.1 bar (31 PSI) and last night at a petrol station some guy commented that the front tyres looked under-inflated... they do look it a little.

Comment

33psi is the most popular pressure. Make sure you check the pressures when the tyres are cold, i.e. before any driving.

Comment

As far as I am concerned there is no real hard and fast rule to tyre pressures as it all depends on the tyre, the vehicle, the weight being carried at the time etc etc.

But 31 does sound a bit low, I tend to start at around 35, then see how the tyre looks/feels/drives and how it wears over time - underinflated may wear more on edges and overinflated may wear more in the middle. If you are fully loaded or carrying a load of stuff you may want a bit more in the rear tyres.
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Cheers, I'll pump 'em up a bit.

Comment

The UK spec for the 4runner is 42psi, tried it and it's orrible, going back to 35.

Comment

Working...
              X