Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offroading tyre tread depth min

when do people change their offroading tyres from tread wear,
    as legal min of 1.6 mm would be poor for offroading anyway on A/T's and M/T's

my M/T tyres looking less chunky with 8mm left, think by 4mm tread they might not cut trhough the mud so well?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

It's really down to the exact ground conditions and personal opinion as there is no hard and fast rule. The best guide is that if they are not doing the job and you are finding the conditions hard work, perhaps it's time to change them.....
    I used to do loads of Land Rover (sorry) trialling and depending on budget at the time, sometimes had serious new tyres - and occassionally really quite bald ones. Sometimes it was quite surprising just how far the baldies would go. Occassionally the new ones would let you down straight away at the start of the section. If in doubt get a new set. You will probably pay for one or two of the new ones if you sell the old ones with a good few road miles left in them.

Comment

I change my ROAD tyres when they get below 4mm !

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
        It's really down to the exact ground conditions and personal opinion as there is no hard and fast rule. The best guide is that if they are not doing the job and you are finding the conditions hard work, perhaps it's time to change them.....
        I used to do loads of Land Rover (sorry) trialling and depending on budget at the time, sometimes had serious new tyres - and occassionally really quite bald ones. Sometimes it was quite surprising just how far the baldies would go. Occassionally the new ones would let you down straight away at the start of the section. If in doubt get a new set. You will probably pay for one or two of the new ones if you sell the old ones with a good few road miles left in them.

Also, because of the open tread pattern of mud terrains, they should work quite well down to at least 3mm tread depth I would have thought.

Comment

Since MT's become less effective as the tread wears, I'd consider having two sets of tyres. A winter/mud terrain set on cheap steel rims and a summer RT/AT set on your best alloys.

The main reason for doing this would be to preserve the tread on the Mud Terrain tyres since they don't wear as well with year round road use and to save the alloys from salt corrosion. Quite important if you've got bare metal, polished alloys like mine! They can be easily changed back over for occasional mud plugging trips.

I'll probably be putting my Yokohama Geolander AT's back on this weekend- roll on summer!

Comment

Working...
          X