This is interesting reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is interesting reading...

This is taken from the Wikipedia website. Notice what they say about this governments actions!!!

Taxation on SVO as a road fuel varies from country to country, and it is possible the revenue departments in many countries are even unaware of its use, or feel it sufficiently insignificant to legislate. Germany offers 0% taxation, resulting in their leading on most developments of the fuel use. There seems to be no clear taxation system in the USA, however given the low rate of fuel taxation, it is unlikely to face anything unfavourable, although charges could vary from state to state. Ireland currently charges VAT at 21% on SVO when used as a road fuel. Despite its use being common in France, it would appear there has been no legislation to cover this. In the UK drivers using SVO have been prosecuted for failure to pay duty to Customs and Excise. With this department renamed Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs the rate of taxation was originally set at 27.1p per litre, but recently, without a change in the law, HMRC decided to reclassify it as 47.1p per litre. The change seems to contradict the UK Governments commitments to the Kyoto Protocol and to many EU directives. Attempts are also being made to make the increase retrospective, with one organisation being hit with a 16 000ukp back tax bill. The change in taxation effectively makes use of SVO in the UK unviable by all but environmentalists, as the combined price of SVO and taxation for its use, considerably exceeds the price of mineral diesel.

Look up UK population, does it say "bent over by the goverment at every opportunity"

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      This is taken from the Wikipedia website. Notice what they say about this governments actions!!!
      ...... Ireland currently charges VAT at 21% on SVO when used as a road fuel. .....
      I'll have to correct the wiki on that one, they charge vat & exise duty!
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

it is indeed interesting reading. We in this country seem to accept anything the government decides to do. Of course, there will be many that simply ignore this silly level of tax and either don't bother to declare or declare only a little bit of what they actually use.

I can't stand the stink of SVO so am in the money saving situation of buying regular diesel, complete with the luminous green dye in it to show that it was bought and paid for at the current rate of UK duty.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          I'll have to correct the wiki on that one, they charge vat & exise duty!
          Surely you can only pay VAT on something you buy (as pointed out to me in the "It's not easy being green," thread). If you are getting something for nothing and converting it yourself, there is no VAT to pay. Unless they are saying that, if you use clean SVO from the shops, VAT is chargable due to its alternative use.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            Surely you can only pay VAT on something you buy (as pointed out to me in the "It's not easy being green," thread). If you are getting something for nothing and converting it yourself, there is no VAT to pay. Unless they are saying that, if you use clean SVO from the shops, VAT is chargable due to its alternative use.

If i'm correct, there is no Tax/Duty on food stuffs and by using it for another method [even though its green] the government are gonna bend you over and screw ya!
            Gaz

Comment

It's taxable because it's being used as a fuel to power a road vehicle.

Comment

Working...
              X