No announcement yet.

It's Not Easy Being Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on topic - not that I ever go off topic myself. We were discussing recycling at work today and I said that it pees me off that we have blue paper recycling bins in the offices and pink bins for general rubbish. Most of the time the recycle bins have apple cores and half eaten sarnies thrown in them. The pink bins have photo copying paper in them. Most of us that live outside London are into the habit of recycling and it is mostly the locals who mix everything up.

We then got round to the merits of energy saving light bulbs. We were wondering how much more in energy and resources they take to produce, bearing in mind that each one has a small PCB to increase the mains frequency, compared to the low tech production of normal tungsten filament light bulbs.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Yeah,missed last nights
      Would have thought they had to have permission to divert a natural spring on the previous weeks episode.

These days I believe every new house development should come with solar power on the roofs!

The guy on the series has done other things for the BEEB such as the various mock installations and discuises using lighting etc during the World War, also other info on military campaigns
      Gaz

Comment

while you're at it you might want to look at how much energy it takes to produce a litre of veg oil (non-waste) I was told it's very uneconomical which would be a great shame.

Sorry, i'm always verging on the off topic!
        PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
          I'm tempted to argue that freedom isn't that high in the USA if you are scared to drive down certain streets in case a crack head rips your heart out for a buzz but there must be some areas that are OK. I liked the Frisco area, anywhere north of there seems ok, would be nice to buy a bit of land with a house on it for less than a million £s.... Remember me if your new government starts sending nukes over to Saudi for no good reason!

Hey Dude!!

You have to do your search. I've been looking at the Virginia State in either Floyd, or Patrick counties. Crime is non-existant. I know a guy who lives there and he tells me the doors are left open, and you can leave your car running in the street. This is the real America, not the crime ridden holiday destinations and citys.

And regarding prices, I have asked him to check this property out for me, as he lives near by. It works out at £142,000, which would buy you a one bedroomed flat where I live. There is another property with 31 acres of land. This is a bit dearer. Check it out.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Home...6&lnksrc=00001

Comment

You are still on topic Neil. I am a bit worried about this biomass business. I was reading the howls of protest from the NIMBYs when I was down in Cornwall. I don't see the merit in converting waste straw, rape plant waste etc after it has been hauled to the biomass by gas guzzling truck.

There are more environmentally friendly ways of producing our vegetable and dairy products. Years ago most farms were mixed and people bought stuff that was produced locally. Now we have milk tankers driving up from the West country passing vegetable trucks from Lincolnshire that are going to Devon and Cornwall. Iit seems to be a crazy waste of energy to me.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
              Yeah,missed last nights
              Would have thought they had to have permission to divert a natural spring on the previous weeks episode.

These days I believe every new house development should come with solar power on the roofs!

The guy on the series has done other things for the BEEB such as the various mock installations and discuises using lighting etc during the World War, also other info on military campaigns

That's because he used to be a Colonel in the British Army. He knows his stuff.

Comment

Hey Dude!!

You have to do your search. I've been looking at the Virginia State in either Floyd, or Patrick counties. Crime is non-existant. I know a guy who lives there and he tells me the doors are left open, and you can leave your car running in the street. This is the real America, not the crime ridden holiday destinations and citys.

And regarding prices, I have asked him to check this property out for me, as he lives near by. It works out at £142,000, which would buy you a one bedroomed flat where I live. There is another property with 31 acres of land. This is a bit dearer. Check it out.

Comment

Spend a fair bit of time in the States with work (Just north of Boston, NY, Arizona and Texas) and you're damn right about the better standard of living etc. NH has no sales tax so it's always a good place to pick up bargains and pressies for the missus!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                    Hey Dude!!

Try New Mexico. I remember being amazed that you could pick up low mountain pasture in Socorro (about 60 miles south of Albuquerque) for $1000 an acre. The weather means you can put a 'mobile home' type dwelling on it (and those places can be huge!) for about $60k. That works out DAMN cheap compared to UK!

If I didn't have family commitments in the UK I'd be out of here tomorrow!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

We'll be right behind you!

p.s. would the last member to leave, switch off the lights!

Comment

Working...
                      X