any good offroad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any good offroad?

hello, i've just been offered a 2.4td surf and i want to use it for serious off-roading, can anyone tell me if they are anygood for this? cheers, huey

They are great , get a set of good tyres on and off you go ! not as good as a LR defender but a close second .

Andy.

Comment

any good???
      have a look at the pics in the off roading section
      and the vids are good too
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Youre having a laugh
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

While Its doen everything I've asked of it, you have to remember the longer chassis.

Dont know the stats but generally you use the following:

Approach Angle - How steep the nose is before s c r a ping
          Breakover Angle - Hills drop away at the front and back [eg over crests of a hill]
          Departure Angle - Before the back s c ra pes
          Ground Clearance
          Turning Circle

The higher the angles, the better the vehicle will handle off-roading.Magazine stats for new vigo and comparisons looking through 4x4

Vigo
          Approach - 30
          Breakover - 25
          Departure - 26

L200
          Approach - 33 degrees
          Breakover - 26
          Departure - 24

Range Rover Sport
          Approach - 34
          Breakover - 25
          Departure - 27
          Last edited by Gizmo; 9 April 2006, 20:17.
          Gaz

Comment

Rhe RAN*(***( SPORT cant do half as much as the SURF
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

yea they are good. need a bit of tinkering with though.

lifted 2" fine more if ya want.
              cut down the bump stops on the front.
              mud tyres
              remove or get disconects for both anti-roll bars
              better bash plate.
              modify rear bumper to reduce over hang
              re-route tail pipe to side

the list goes on but one thing i would recomend is fitting a belly plate. the break over angle is not bad but the centre cross member can take a real pasting after a while. and the down pipe from the exhaust can take a few knocks. (i even managed to dent my front prop shaft).

I compete every month in RTV's usualy against rangy's and tricked up disco's and hold my own with no problem. even win now and then.

Just remember they are long wheel base and cant compete with short wheel base cars on real twisty tight situations.
              mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by huey
                hello, i've just been offered a 2.4td surf and i want to use it for serious off-roading, can anyone tell me if they are anygood for this? cheers, huey

Keep your nipples greased and watch your back end going into a big hole!!!

I've pulled Discos and Patrols out of sticky situations before and been stuck once on Langdale Quest in some sinky sand and grounded out.

In low ratio they are unstoppable!!

Comment

As good as a Surf may be off road for really serious use I'm afraid it has just gotta be a Landy coiler. Sorry lads but the one big advantage is bits. For the Landy you can get some serious articulation out of the suspension relatively cheaply with dislocation cones etc. Nothing else maters if you can keep your wheels in contact with the ground! Even without that the bits that get knocked off like lights, exhausts, wings etc are giveaway.

Saying that I can't see why the Suf can't be made into a really serious bit of kit that would go toe to toe with the Landy, it would just cost buckets more of time and cash.

On the plus side you can get a decent Surf for the price of a heap of a landy. So you are on your way for not too much. In my view the best £4£ cheap off roader at the moment is the classic style Rangey, they are giving em away and you get a lovely V8 burble and mosy of the cheap goodies fit em. The same probs as the Surf though with wheelbase.

AS for all this I've pulled ???? out. Big deal I've pulled out all sort with the Landy and been pulled out by most things under the sun. If you don't get stuck then you aint trying hard enough!
                  Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                    As good as a Surf may be off road for really serious use I'm afraid it has just gotta be a Landy coiler. Sorry lads but the one big advantage is bits. For the Landy you can get some serious articulation out of the suspension relatively cheaply with dislocation cones etc. Nothing else maters if you can keep your wheels in contact with the ground! Even without that the bits that get knocked off like lights, exhausts, wings etc are giveaway.

Saying that I can't see why the Suf can't be made into a really serious bit of kit that would go toe to toe with the Landy, it would just cost buckets more of time and cash.

On the plus side you can get a decent Surf for the price of a heap of a landy. So you are on your way for not too much. In my view the best £4£ cheap off roader at the moment is the classic style Rangey, they are giving em away and you get a lovely V8 burble and mosy of the cheap goodies fit em. The same probs as the Surf though with wheelbase.

AS for all this I've pulled ???? out. Big deal I've pulled out all sort with the Landy and been pulled out by most things under the sun. If you don't get stuck then you aint trying hard enough!

agree with some of that but second hand parts are becoming easier to get.
                    but the money you will save on the big stuff can compensate. i've seen more landy diff's half shafts, gearboxes and CV's let go than anything else. and while they are fairly cheap to replace it all adds up, even more so if you cant fix it yourself.
                    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TJG

Guess I'm trying hard enough then.

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                        i know cones are cool for articulation but its no good if theres no weight on them for getting the power down is it?
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                          Nothing else maters if you can keep your wheels in contact with the ground!
                          Got ARB? Who needs all the wheels on the floor.

Without a locker the Surfs only let down offroad is the IFS, throw a solid pickup axle under the front and it'll work fine.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            Got ARB? Who needs all the wheels on the floor.

Without a locker the Surfs only let down offroad is the IFS, throw a solid pickup axle under the front and it'll work fine.

Or has anyone worked out how to fit a 3.0L diesel (or V8!) into the MK1 solid front axle Surf yet???

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
                              Or has anyone worked out how to fit a 3.0L diesel ( or V8! ) into the MK1 solid front axle Surf yet???
                              Been there done that!

Far nicer to SAS a Surf IMHO. Bored with pickups after all these years.
                              Attached Files
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X