Generation 3 Jap spoiler with reversing mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generation 3 Jap spoiler with reversing mirror

Who said the spoiler with the reversing mirror off a Gen 3 doesn't fit?

I guess you guys saw the one on ebay going last week..............well, it's now attatched firmly to the wifes 4runner. Looks wicked too.

Has anyone else tried this yet? And if so, did they have as much frustration as I did for 3 hours?

But I think it was worth it in the end.

I will try and post photos if I can figure out how to do it on here.
    Attached Files

looking good.who's the Elvis fan then?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Not blooming me !!!!!

Personally I think she made the 4runner look "tacky" with all the Elvis rubbish she's shoved on it.

I tell you something, Im never going to Graceland again! Goodness knows what she would bring back next time.

Don't worry though, the rear Elvis plate is only stuck on with silicone. I didn't dare drill a hole for that, hope the silicone comes off though!

It was killing me when I was drilling holes in the roof for the spoiler, if I'd have got them in the wrong place.............. !!!!

Still got the mirror to wire up yet, I think I am going to get a rocker switch the same as the rear window switch, and place it in the spare slot next to it to operate the mirror.

Just wait until I have got "the finger" sticker behind it for those tailgating twits !!!

Oh, just one more thing, anyone got any idea what I could replace the "Surf" sticker with after the trusty hair drier has got it off? There's an "OK"ish 4x4 sticker going on Ebay, but I'm open to ideas as to what to replace it with.............and no Elvis jokes please !
      Last edited by Big Bad Runner; 6 April 2006, 21:24.

Comment

what sort of stuff she got then from graceland? i collect music memorabillia and i got a few of the elvis things aswel.the best one i got is a 24c gold double album registered with gracelands and 1 of the best and rarer records is the original of flaming star which was called Black star in mint condition

Comment

The usual tourist tack. Jewellery, pictures, clothes, oh, and a six foot cardboard cut out of him, which is now stood behind the bar at home !!!

Comment

women all over that.not like us blokes always have to pay that little extra

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad Runner
              Not blooming me !!!!!

Personally I think she made the 4runner look "tacky" with all the Elvis rubbish she's shoved on it.

I tell you something, Im never going to Graceland again! Goodness knows what she would bring back next time.

Don't worry though, the rear Elvis plate is only stuck on with silicone. I didn't dare drill a hole for that, hope the silicone comes off though!

It was killing me when I was drilling holes in the roof for the spoiler, if I'd have got them in the wrong place.............. !!!!

Still got the mirror to wire up yet, I think I am going to get a rocker switch the same as the rear window switch, and place it in the spare slot next to it to operate the mirror.

Just wait until I have got "the finger" sticker behind it for those tailgating twits !!!

Oh, just one more thing, anyone got any idea what I could replace the "Surf" sticker with after the trusty hair drier has got it off? There's an "OK"ish 4x4 sticker going on Ebay, but I'm open to ideas as to what to replace it with.............and no Elvis jokes please !
              Wire the mirror up to the reversing lights so it pops up automatically when you select reverse.

Comment

Great idea, that was my initial thought. But here lies the problem:

to motor the mirror down, you need 12v supply, which you can, indeed, get from the reversing lights by selecting reverse.

How do I motor the mirror back up though? Because I need the 12V supply switching around to motor it up, and seeing as when you deselect reverse, the 12V is gone.

There is a relay with the motor that does all this for you, but there are four wires, and no amount of combinations of wiring on my part has thus so far managed to figure out how to achieve the desired result !

So I figured the easiest option is just to put it on a rocker switch(switchable supply) direct to the motor. Although if anyone knows how to wire these things up...........I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad Runner
                  Great idea, that was my initial thought. But here lies the problem:

to motor the mirror down, you need 12v supply, which you can, indeed, get from the reversing lights by selecting reverse.

How do I motor the mirror back up though? Because I need the 12V supply switching around to motor it up, and seeing as when you deselect reverse, the 12V is gone.

There is a relay with the motor that does all this for you, but there are four wires, and no amount of combinations of wiring on my part has thus so far managed to figure out how to achieve the desired result !

So I figured the easiest option is just to put it on a rocker switch(switchable supply) direct to the motor. Although if anyone knows how to wire these things up...........I'm all ears.
                  your 4 wires couldn't be the usual set could they :

1) Earth
                  2) 12v Main feed
                  3) To the motor
                  4) From a switchable source (ie reverse lights)

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

there are actually 6 wires in a multiplug.

2 are for the brake light, the other four I tried putting various combinations of earth and 12V with no success.

If I remember right, they were:

white (slighter thicker than the rest)
                    orange
                    brown
                    blue

they all go to what I'm guessing is a relay for the motor. Out of this relay comes 2 wires, a geen and a black, which I put 12V to just to test, and depending which way round you put the live, it motors the mirror up and down. These were the wires I was going to put to selectable switch, thereby bypassing the relay section of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X