Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator slight leek!

a bit of advice please oh wise ones.
    changed oil and coolant on monday and all seemed ok, i.e no oil in old coolant and no coolant in old oil. job well done and engine looking healthy.
    however today i noticed a small leek from top of rad, right hand side.
    its a 93 2.4 so the question is, do i need a new rad, a top tank, or is it likely to seal itself if i put a little rad weld in there (not best solution i think as dont want to contaminate coolant or risk any future head problems.)
    if i need top tank or rad who would you recommend as a supplier (i`ll need it shipping to spain so uk shippers only are a no no i`m afraid).
    thanks in advance for any help guy`s and gal`s.
    Ian

You can repair it yourself if you have these items,
    Blowtorch
    flux
    solder
    wirebrush (electric drill attatchment version is better)
    I've repaired two now and they're still working o.k.
    If you have small pinhole leaks, remove the paint from around the hole, use a 4" nail or nail punch to make a small indent and fill the indent with a 'puddle' of solder.

Comment

vince to the rescue again. sounds very inexpensive and has made my day that has mate. will it hold ok do you think? i dont know how much pressure builds up in these things so i would be a little nervous of it going again. got a mate who`s a welder so he will have the stuff i need. will putting a bit more solder on make it less likely to blow again i.e preparing an area about the size of a 10 pence piece?
      thanks again vince, youv`e probably saved me a small fortune their
      Ian

Comment

I repaired mine last summer and it's been fine. Also if you find a split that needs repairing, I use copper tube. Cut a piece of pipe roughly the same length as the split, then cut down the centre and flatten it with a hammer to make a kind of copper patch. Clean with wire wool as you would copper pipe and solder it to the split. Check it's all sealed o.k. then spray the rad with that heat resistant exhaust paint, job done!

p.s. it's best to remove the rad before soldering, it enables a better finish.
        Don't forget to plug the ends of the transmision cooler pipes if you have an auto 'box.
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 6 April 2006, 13:35.

Comment

well here`s hoping it lasts then mate. gonna ring my welding buddy and get straight onto it. thanks a million again
          Ian

Comment

did it this morning Vince and seems to be holding fine so far touch wood, also noticed split in air intake pipe near to airbox so wrapped some duck tape round as neatly as possible, then noticed the atf fluid dipstick column has a broken mounting bracket so tiewrapped it to nearest pipe, also top hose on radiator has two spring clips which seemed to have weakend over time as coolant attempted to escape from connections after pin holes were soldered up so jubilee clipped `em...... healthy looking engine my ar$e LOL. just little niggles really but just shows what little faults you start to find when you have a good butchers round the engine bay.
            thanks again for the advice mate
            Ian

Comment

Working...
            X