4wd - can I leave it on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd - can I leave it on

I've just read about the way that some Surfs have a 4wd diff that can 'wind up' if it's used on tarmac.

I'm just buying a 92 model.

Is this likely to have that sort of Diff, and will I need to keep it in 2wd except in slippy weather ?

Originally posted by rob88.
    I've just read about the way that some Surfs have a 4wd diff that can 'wind up' if it's used on tarmac.

I'm just buying a 92 model.

Is this likely to have that sort of Diff, and will I need to keep it in 2wd except in slippy weather ?
    a 92 model hasnt got full time 4wd and does have to be left in 2wd except on slippery surfaces
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I don't want to sound like a comlpete T***.

But,
      If I left it in 4wd by accident would the wind up damage accumulate, or is it something that snaps or bends and is then damaged.

And, equaly as silly.
      How slippy would it need to be.
      Would you put on 4wd in rain, or the aftermath of rain, or would you leave it in 2wd until it was a tropical rainstorm.

I know these are probably silly questions to some of you.
      But I don't want to bugger up my new truck, but I also don't want to ignore my 4wd capabilities when they may be useful.

Comment

Damage could occur right away - look at it like this, if you put your steering on full-lock and turned slowly in a circle your front wheels would travel a lot more than your rear wheels, yes?

Well, with the truck in 4WD the front and rear axles are in effect "locked" together and will turn at the same speed - this means either the rear wheels will slip or something will break - this is why you may experience judder when doing this - the rear wheels are slipping to keep up with the turning of the front wheels.

I would never use 4WD on the road unless it was covered in snow or something - there is just no reason to, you will not gain anything even if it's really wet. 4WD is there for traction off road climbing obstacles or driving through mud etc, it's not going to make road-driving any better or safer. Maybe in a high-power 4WD vehicle like an Imprezza then 4WD has advantages as you have more potential traction when laying on the power - but with a surf - I don't think so.
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I've seen a front birfield joint break on a pickup left in 4wd, on full lock in a dry tarmac car park. at about 5mph. Although the Surf IFS CV's are stronger, it will not do it any good still.

Having said that, I left mine in 4wd a few times and got away with it, it will either lock the drive train up solid, or make horrible noises if you turn the steering at all.

If its slippery enough to spin the wheels, then your'll get away with, but not for long, and not recommended.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X