Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boy please be gentle............

Hi
    Just bought a 1992 2.4 Surf after 5 Rangies which have all been a nightmare, cant remember the model but its got recaro seats (pick it up tomorrow)
    Your site looks like its full of info. I just hope all the talk about cyl heads arent going to apply to me!
    Am I missing something or do you really have to open the rear window from inside the car to open the boot ? I have a six month old dog & im sure that he'll be long gone out the window before I get round there !
    If anyone out there has a solution, I would be interested
    For now........ cheers, until I have more stupid questions.
    Steve
    Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Hi Steve, Don't panic, theres a key switch in the tailgate that you access from the out side as well as the switch inside the cab.
    As for the cylinder head problems, it's generaly down to luck i'm affraid. Some 2.4 owners have had their trucks for years and had no problems. If you're buying from a dealer, make sure that the cylinder head is covered in the warranty.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 March 2006, 08:39.

Comment

Originally posted by javars
      Hi
      Just bought a 1992 2.4 Surf after 5 Rangies which have all been a nightmare, cant remember the model but its got recaro seats (pick it up tomorrow)
      Your site looks like its full of info. I just hope all the talk about cyl heads arent going to apply to me!
      Am I missing something or do you really have to open the rear window from inside the car to open the boot ? I have a six month old dog & im sure that he'll be long gone out the window before I get round there !
      If anyone out there has a solution, I would be interested
      For now........ cheers, until I have more stupid questions.
      Steve

welcome to the club mate.

As Vince says, its all about luck with the 2.4. Yours will probably be an ssr-G top of the range with the recaros although some lesser spec truks have them as an option. In fact, spec means very little as the nips fitted whatever they wanted to whatever spec.

Your first post identifies the 2 most discussed topics on this forum, the head on the 2.4 and the electric window. Window often gives trouble but with the help and advise you will find on here this will be easy to put right.
      Happy surfing

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
        welcome to the club mate.

As Vince says, its all about luck with the 2.4. Yours will probably be an ssr-G top of the range with the recaros although some lesser spec truks have them as an option. In fact, spec means very little as the nips fitted whatever they wanted to whatever spec.

Your first post identifies the 2 most discussed topics on this forum, the head on the 2.4 and the electric window. Window often gives trouble but with the help and advise you will find on here this will be easy to put right.
        Happy surfing

Al.
        Welcome to a life of Fun Fun & more FUN

There's always a Payback .... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hi Steve. Welcome to the nutty world of Surfism.
          The only common newbie question you missed is, "What is the red button by the gearshift for?" All the answers are on here somewhere and you will find the forum members helpful and supportive.
          Enjoy you truck and the big grin that comes with it.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ha ha! Another defector from the Land Rover camp! Welcome

Having used Series IIIs and recently spent a few weekends trying to fix a Range Rover Auto, I really do appreciate the Surf.

Fist off-road was last weekend - the axle travel is slightly less than the Range Rover's but it's a whole lot more controllable, and soooo much nicer on the road.

And, I now get weekends free!

Problems found in 4 months' running: a loose battery terminal clamp (they're poor) and the need to flush the cooling system - due, presumably, to poor maintenance in Japan.
            The Series III never went more than 4 weeks without requiring a proper repair of one sort or another.

Comment

Welcome to the mad house . you will be surprised how robust the surfs are and you will have fun with it.
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
                Ha ha! Another defector from the Land Rover camp! Welcome

Having used Series IIIs and recently spent a few weekends trying to fix a Range Rover Auto, I really do appreciate the Surf.

Fist off-road was last weekend - the axle travel is slightly less than the Range Rover's but it's a whole lot more controllable, and soooo much nicer on the road.

And, I now get weekends free!

Problems found in 4 months' running: a loose battery terminal clamp (they're poor) and the need to flush the cooling system - due, presumably, to poor maintenance in Japan.
                The Series III never went more than 4 weeks without requiring a proper repair of one sort or another.
                You must have some proper bad luck mate! I've had a Rangey, SIII, Pajero and a Surf and all were perfectly reliable. SO far nothing has gone wrong with the Surf in 1 year & 10k miles but it has a lot to live up to, the Pajero that I did almost 100k in for the cost of brakes & tyres! So far so good though and it is much faster than the Paj..
                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Thanks for the replys, as for the rangies, you name it...................i replaced it !

Comment

I have a 6 month old Springer Spaniel and to keep her in the boot in her earlier months I just looped the dog lead through a cargo net loop right at the back. Stopped her jumping over the seat and eating my sarnies again! Just keep the window up so it doesn't make like a lemming.

Comment

Originally posted by den 22
                      I have a 6 month old Springer Spaniel and to keep her in the boot in her earlier months I just looped the dog lead through a cargo net loop right at the back. Stopped her jumping over the seat and eating my sarnies again! Just keep the window up so it doesn't make like a lemming.
                      I got a six month old dobe......bouncy? Should have called him Tigger !

Comment

hehehe!! I know what you mean, I've got two Dobermans. Good job I fitted stiffer rear springs 'cos when mine start jumping around, the back of the truck is rocking like it's in an earthquake!

Comment

when mine start jumping around, the back of the truck is rocking like it's in an earthquake![/QUOTE]

I told you the matress mod was a mistake
                          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Good job I got limo tints!

Comment

Working...
                            X