One For The Computer Literate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One For The Computer Literate

I used one of the free online virus scans last night. It did it's stuff and the only thing it turned up in the "dangerous" category was a Trojan file in my PCs current anti virus program. Hmmmm.
    This online virus check lists all your dodgy cookies but, unlike Trend Housecall, says to remove the files you have to buy their product.

The question is this. Is the trojan it thinks it has found in my current anti virus program just a tool that the anti virus program uses or a ploy to get you to download their program at $33.99 and delete my current anti virus program which I paid $40 for less than 6 weeks ago?
    It's only a hobby!

It hasnt detected a virus in the quarentine folder of your antivirus has it ??

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind
      It hasnt detected a virus in the quarentine folder of your antivirus has it ??
      Sounds as though that's what has happened.
      For free online virus scans that will remove what then find without charging, try these...
      pandasoftware
      or
      eTrust
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

or AVG
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

it doesn't sounds like a problem, different Anti viruses & spy ware programs, tend to think the other is a trojan, when installed on the same machine, im always wary of using those free online scans, as they tend to cause more problems then they fix.
          Cheers
          Stu
          Hell was full so I came back....

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu263
            it doesn't sounds like a problem, different Anti viruses & spy ware programs, tend to think the other is a trojan, when installed on the same machine, im always wary of using those free online scans, as they tend to cause more problems then they fix.
            Cheers
            Stu
            I have been using AVG for years and its caused me no probs or on any of the machines I have built/fixed.very good for a freebie.
            Tim

Comment

Cheers folks. That is why I lurve this forum. You can find experts on just about anything.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                I have been using AVG for years and its caused me no probs or on any of the machines I have built/fixed.very good for a freebie.
                After years of fighting with Norton I gave in and started using AVG.......
                add spybot and ad aware and it seems to cope well.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                  After years of fighting with Norton I gave in and started using AVG.......
                  add spybot and ad aware and it seems to cope well.
                  Ditto, used to like Norton till the bloat got too much, can really hog resources on older machines, their activation became troublesome, subscription renewal difficult, and it became a nightmare to remove on some machines. I used to sell it to customers, not anymore.
                  Now they (and me) get exactly the trio of protection you listed, AVG, SpyBot & AdAware, add in ZoneAlarm and your system is pretty well covered.

The two online scans I listed above will not have any difficulties with these on your system, other than anything held in a quarantine folder which is to be expected.
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                    I used one of the free online virus scans last night. It did it's stuff and the only thing it turned up in the "dangerous" category was a Trojan file in my PCs current anti virus program.

The question is this. Is the trojan it thinks it has found in my current anti virus program just a tool that the anti virus program uses or a ploy to get you to download their program at $33.99 and delete my current anti virus program which I paid $40 for less than 6 weeks ago?
                    Almost certainly a scam. If you've already got protection, the chances are you're protected.........
                    Cheers
                    Trev D.

Comment

at home i use AVG and Ad-Aware (so good i paid up for the full version!)
                      The new Windows defender is also good. I install it on most machines I look after at work.
                      Tim

Comment

A great way to stay virus free is to use a live cd from one of the linux distros such as pclinux or damm small linux, for your web browsing, emailing.
                        (dsl is only about 50 m/b`s so it loads and runs quick.)

Everything runs from your memory so nothing gets installed onto your hard drive, therefore, no virus, trojans or spyware.

Its a great way to try the many linux distros as well to see if you like them, and to see how compatable they are with the hardware on your system.
                        Last edited by hawkwind; 23 March 2006, 20:05.

Comment

what's a linux and whats a distros?
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            what's a linux and whats a distros?
                            linux was the kid off charlie brown, and distros is where people dressed up like idiots and danced in the seventies...
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              linux was the kid off charlie brown, and distros is where people dressed up like idiots and danced in the seventies...
                              i was thinking of distros, the fella off dr who... but he went on to be a comedian after he started using his first name, Bobby, again.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X