wishbone bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wishbone bushes

after toyota dealer not being able to do camber/castor adjustment on my truck yesterday as lower wishbone bolts/nuts seized, and poss damage to bushes if they tried

im thinking of replacing the bushes - assuming i can get bolts easily,
    not sure how much the bolts are - cant find them on milners or roughtrax
    can these bushes be replaced without a large hydraulic press?

roughtrax sells bushes for 29 for lower - bit pricey as need 4!
    milners 12 quid each - but suspicious of quality of milners stuff

not sure whether i need to do the top wishbone bushes to allow for cmaber/castor adjustment?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Have you tried to undo the nuts and move the bolts for yourself, I've never had problems with them seizing, normally the toe in-out adjusters are the ones that seize.

The lower wishbones have a bolt, and its nut, and these go through 2 cams which move the wishbone location. I've seen the cams rounded out on the bolts where people have tried to adjust things without loosening the nuts or lifting the car up, so turning the bolt dosn't move the wishbone anymore.

How are your tyres wearing, I'd leave it alone if they are OK.

I've changed the bushes with a 'BFH' before, or you can use a couple of big sockets and a vise, but its easier with a press.

Tops aren't adjustable, if the bushes are OK, it won't affect anything.

Originally posted by andycook
    after toyota dealer not being able to do camber/castor adjustment on my truck yesterday as lower wishbone bolts/nuts seized, and poss damage to bushes if they tried

im thinking of replacing the bushes - assuming i can get bolts easily,
    not sure how much the bolts are - cant find them on milners or roughtrax
    can these bushes be replaced without a large hydraulic press?

roughtrax sells bushes for 29 for lower - bit pricey as need 4!
    milners 12 quid each - but suspicious of quality of milners stuff

not sure whether i need to do the top wishbone bushes to allow for cmaber/castor adjustment?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Roughtrax bushes are probably the best as I believe they are genuine Toyota. The Milners may be nolathane which require removal of the old rubber and then pressing into the original metal sleeves. I doubt if bolts are available anywhere except Toyota genuine. A press is best used for replacement as otherwise damage to control arms can happen if you resort to a big hammer.

Nev

Comment

thanks for replies

havent tried undoing myself

one of tyres on one side has been wearing uneven, on one edge
        doubt tracking as it was ok

also when i have put long spirit level against wheels - with same tyre pressure and on flat ground there is a noticeable difference, one wheel closer to vertical than the other
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

FYI...

http://www.superpro.eu.com/

Mark
          :

Comment

Some info on nolathane (superpro and others). These require lubrication and unlike rubber, which works on its flexibility, the nolathane will pick up a lot of dirt and wear quickly when used on control arms and similar components. I chose the genuine rubber even though they cost more. Once replaced they will last another 10 - 12 years.

Nev

Comment

I'd fit rubber ones purely on the basis that I build my trucks to work well offroad, and flex well, stiffening up the suspension is the last thing you need.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I've changed the bushes with a 'BFH' before, or you can use a couple of big sockets and a vise, but its easier with a press.
                I remember you doing mine with a surf jack (and a bfh) to press them out

Comment

Working...
                X