puter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puter question

Theres probably a really simple answer to this , but I ain't got a clue !

My computer is taking an age to load up when I log on , It's driving me insane , I've done a virus scan , spyware scan and defragmented the hard drive but it's still very very slow. I think it's just the ammount of programs that are trying to start up all at once, is there a way to find out which programs are running as soon as I start the computer ? and most of all how do I stop them starting ?

Andy.

Start - Run - Type in "msconfig" hit return.
    This will bring up the system configuration window. Hit the STARTUP tab and it will show you everything that loads at startup, you can enable/disable each item individually.

Comment

Are you running either Norton or McAfee Virus software? If so, that's probably your problem. I had McAfee on mine and it was taking about 5 minutes to load everything up each time I wanted to use the box. Now got rid of McAfee and use AVG free edition instead. Works just as well as a virus scanner but box loads up in about 20 secs now.
      Mike G

Comment

Think about a full format of the Hard drive, over time your PC will collect various trackers, viruses and trojans who all try to run their little programs in the background.
        It will also have about 40% wasted space due to unneeded files and folders...

Back it all up and wipe it...Windows is easy to install again and you can start fresh...

Make sure you have a firewall and antivirus at the very least when your up and running again.

Comment

Cheers for the help guys , all sorted now.
          It was the amount of programs all trying to start at once.
          Just cancelled all the unwanted ones and just left Norton and spyware doctor to come on at start up and it's booting up in about 30 seconds now.

Andy.

Comment

Working...
          X