Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which TD engine to go for?

Hi everyone!
    I'm about to buy a Surf and perhaps you guys can tell me which TD engine/model to go for in terms of reliability and economy. What sort of mpg do you get out of your diesel engines? Thanks so much. Michael.

If you have a budget of £6000 or more, go for a 3rd gen Surf. They're 3.0litre

Comment

Yep

3rd gen 3 liter is the one - if you can find one try to get one that's intercooled as well as turboed (scoop on the bonnet).

They have a bit more poke

ta

hawaii
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf-wannabe
        Hi everyone!
        I'm about to buy a Surf and perhaps you guys can tell me which TD engine/model to go for in terms of reliability and economy. What sort of mpg do you get out of your diesel engines? Thanks so much. Michael.

I say either 2nd or 3rd gen as long as its a 3 litre. 2.4's are slightly better on the MPG according to info on this forum but the 3 is a way better engine and the savings on your repair bills will buy you a lot of diesel.

I have owned 2.4 and 3.0 and would not have anything other than a 3.0 now.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          If you have a budget of £6000 or more, go for a 3rd gen Surf. They're 3.0litre
          Thanks for this. My budget is nearing £7k if need be. Would that get me a surf made after 1996 ('new shape' + airbags I think they're called)?

Secondly, I plan to take this car for long journeys through Europe and mountain tracks (+ carry some stuff in it) this summer, would you trust this vehicle for it? Wholeheartedly?

Comment

Thanks for this. My budget is nearing £7k if need be. Would that get me a surf made after 1996 ('new shape' + airbags I think they're called)?

Secondly, I plan to take this car for long journeys through Europe and mountain tracks (+ carry some stuff in it) this summer, would you trust this vehicle for it? Wholeheartedly?

Yes you can get a very nice 3rd gen with airbags (help you float in deep mud) for 6K plus.

As for trusting it, if its well maintained and a good clean low miles example, like mine for instance then it will take you anywhere.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
              Yes you can get a very nice 3rd gen with airbags (help you float in deep mud) for 6K plus.

As for trusting it, if its well maintained and a good clean low miles example, like mine for instance then it will take you anywhere.

Al
              Out of interest, what spec has your Surf got?

Comment

its got auto climate control, television that pops out of the dash which works but has no aireal, twin airbags kzn185 engine.

Its in the new universally acclaimed best colour "silver"

And has only 60K miles on it with side steps SVA tested and converted with the MPH speedo.

Cost 6 grand in like new condition.

Al

Its an ssr-x but this means little as the japs all put whatever they want on them when they order them.

Comment

Ok, what's a kzn185 engine? Also, have you got any pictures so that I know what to aim for in terms of a 'as new condition' vehicle? If it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

Comment

kzn185 is the 3rd gen 3litre engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      kzn185 is the 3rd gen 3litre engine.
                      Oh.... I see. Changing subject a little, do you happen to know how much load you could safely carry in one of these? Weight-wise...

Comment

Not sure of the exact weight limit, but I had 20 bags of sand in the back of mine last week-end and it was no bother.

p.s. I do have heavy rear duty springs fitted to my truck though.

Comment

So how heavy is 1 bag of sand? Just wondering: the heavy duty springs - don't they affect the quality of the ride on tarmac?

Comment

So how heavy is 1 bag of sand? Just wondering: the heavy duty springs - don't they affect the quality of the ride on tarmac?
                            Not if you leave the sand in the back of the truck! hahahaha!!

Ahem, each bag weighs 40kg.
                            I could have still carried all those bags of sand on standard springs, but the back of the truck would have sagged a bit.

Comment

see here for pics

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21044

Comment

Working...
                              X