Rear Window . . . not again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window . . . not again!!

Sorry to bother you all with this problem again, but having trauled through all the threads on the rear window, I haven't managed to find anyone with the same problem.

My rear window works fine when using the switch inside the cab. It also rolls down fine when turning the key to the right.

When I turn the key left to raise the window, it often won't work. I have to turn the key back and forth a number of times before it works. When it does go up, it doesn't struggle at all, and I replaced the motor only 8mths ago, so I'm sure its not that.

I've noticed when I turn the key to raise the window, there is often a 'click' which sounds like it is trying to make a conmnection, but failing.

Would this mean the relay is on its way out, or something else?

Cheers all.

Dave
    Just Vegging Out

Dave.

I would bet on the relay. There are 4 relays in the pack, one each for up and down on the switch inside and one each for up and down on the key in the back door. It's often the case that only one will go and it is often the up relay for the key on the door. Up always goes first as there is higher current drain pushing the window up against gravity as well as the drag of the runners and the rubber than there is going down where gravity is on the motors side.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
      Sorry to bother you all with this problem again, but having trauled through all the threads on the rear window, I haven't managed to find anyone with the same problem.

My rear window works fine when using the switch inside the cab. It also rolls down fine when turning the key to the right.

When I turn the key left to raise the window, it often won't work. I have to turn the key back and forth a number of times before it works. When it does go up, it doesn't struggle at all, and I replaced the motor only 8mths ago, so I'm sure its not that.

I've noticed when I turn the key to raise the window, there is often a 'click' which sounds like it is trying to make a conmnection, but failing.

Cheers all.

Dave

Have a read of this Dave...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...chmentid=17058

Comment

Cheers all.

Dave
        You want the easy way to tell if its your relay?? (assuming you know for a fact that its not your motor or wiring to it)

does it make a click from the relay board when you turn the key? If so the switching is working and the relay is attempting to supply power. If window is not going down and you know the motor is good the fault lies in the relay contact or in the wiring twixt board and tailgate.

Follow my lead from november last year (serach phoebelala for november) and you will find pictures and instructions on replacing the defective relay.

Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
          You want the easy way to tell if its your relay?? (assuming you know for a fact that its not your motor or wiring to it)

does it make a click from the relay board when you turn the key? If so the switching is working and the relay is attempting to supply power. If window is not going down and you know the motor is good the fault lies in the relay contact or in the wiring twixt board and tailgate.

Follow my lead from november last year (serach phoebelala for november) and you will find pictures and instructions on replacing the defective relay.

Al.
          Thanks Al. Yeah it does make a click when I turn the key. Not sure if the click is from the relay board yet as I haven't taken it out yet. I'll have a look for your thread from November.

Vince,
          As usual you come up trumps! Looks like I'm getting my hands dirty again this weekend.

I might change the relay as well!
          Just Vegging Out

Comment

Thanks Al. Yeah it does make a click when I turn the key. Not sure if the click is from the relay board yet as I haven't taken it out yet. I'll have a look for your thread from November.

Vince,
            As usual you come up trumps! Looks like I'm getting my hands dirty again this weekend.

I might change the relay as well!

If it clicks its from the board and almost certain that the relay is burned inside. Mine was the same, sometimes after 3 or 4 goes with the key it would work and sometimes it just would not. Take it from me, its the relay. Worst job is removing the plastic trim panel from the load area.

ASl.

Al.
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
              If it clicks its from the board and almost certain that the relay is burned inside. Mine was the same, sometimes after 3 or 4 goes with the key it would work and sometimes it just would not. Take it from me, its the relay. Worst job is removing the plastic trim panel from the load area.

ASl.

Al.
              Thanks mate,
              Found your thread and piccies here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18083

Just wondering whether the Maplins label in the first pic shows the Maplin product code JM67X? Is this correct. Saves me trying to explain it to some spotty teenager when I go in there!

Cheers again.
              Just Vegging Out

Comment

Thanks mate,
                Found your thread and piccies here:

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18083

Just wondering whether the Maplins label in the first pic shows the Maplin product code JM67X? Is this correct. Saves me trying to explain it to some spotty teenager when I go in there!

Cheers again.
                Dude had a simillar problem myself.

I changed the relays and still same prob.
                the maplins code is correct...

If it aint the relays - dead easy to change., then change the keyswitch next - cost 12 quid from toyo dealer....
                Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

i had the very same prob a far few months ago i found every thing was clicking at the right time was working good from switch inside truck but i had to wiggle the key to make window rise and sometimes go down found my fault was the plug at the rear of the key switch had broken a few wires so when i wiggled the key it was makin contact bought a replacement from a s$$$$py 2 quid i think replaced it now works find also u can get 1 off a 3rd gen but the plugs other way round and will not fit but a few joiner blocks and swapping of wires will do the trick as i had to do with mine hope this helps davey boy

Comment

Working...
                  X