oils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oils?

maybe one for tony or koi this one. getting oil change done next week out here in spain and mechanic has said he is changing grade of oil to a 50 grade due to hotter temperatures out here and will also adjust coolant. makes sense sort of to me but what do all you wise and knowledgeable ones think. thanx in advance for any replies
    Ian

Thanks guys, great advice, i`ll be sure to pass that on to mechanics.
    Ian

Comment

Sounds sensible to me- 50 grade oil is thicker so will not go quite so thin in the heat and changing anti-freeze will raise boiling point, stopping it from overheating.

Comment

thanks charlie, thats what i figured too. can`t hurt anyway i suppose.
        cheers mate
        Ian

Comment

Originally posted by SURFVIRGIN
          thanks charlie, thats what i figured too. can`t hurt anyway i suppose.
          cheers mate
          thick oil is a usless comfort blanket thin oil gets up quicker and as most damage is done in the first few mins thin is better every skyline or s14a I ever owned or drove ran 5 40 or 10 40 fully synth gets up quick and does what it is supposed to. Look on any track day or skyline supra owners site quality thin oil and regular changes is the way to go
          Brian

Comment

thanx yoshie, iv`e owned performance cars myself so know where your coming from but the idea here is too lower the risk of overheating as outside tempratures here are over 35 degrees 70% of the year, and the revs on the 2.4 dont really justify high grade or synthetic oils, plus i change it every 3000 miles. i just need to keep the oil a little cooler as besides the heat its also very very hilly where i live. take your point tho but your average modified skyline scooby or evo has also had upgraded oil coolers air cooling ducts, intercoolers etc so they need lubrication from there oil and not cooling.
            Last edited by SURFVIRGIN; 19 March 2006, 22:00.
            Ian

Comment

surfvirgin, do I understand you drive a RHD Surf in Spain? If so, how do you manage driving on the other side of the road, how did you adjust and, generally, what's your view on this.... I'm thinking, you see, of moving to LHD land myself.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
                thick oil is a usless comfort blanket thin oil gets up quicker and as most damage is done in the first few mins thin is better every skyline or s14a I ever owned or drove ran 5 40 or 10 40 fully synth gets up quick and does what it is supposed to. Look on any track day or skyline supra owners site quality thin oil and regular changes is the way to go

My Mondeo needs thin oil as it has hydraulic valve lifters. Any thicker than 5w40 and it won't run very well.

Comment

hi mihai,
                  its not a problem with rhd out here in spain. the only roads where you can cruise at any speed are the autopista`s (motorway`s) the rest are so full of idiots that you tend to drive pretty moderate anyway and overtaking is not something that even crosses my mind, cos the lifestyle out here is a bit more chilled and slower than back in the uk. besides it makes parking a lot easier with rhd, no scuffed chromies for me ta very much.
                  Ian

Comment

Thank you Ian, I appreciate it. Have you registered your car on Spanish plates, I wonder?

Comment

Mondeo

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      My Mondeo needs thin oil as it has hydraulic valve lifters. Any thicker than 5w40 and it won't run very well.

Vince you mean you actually admit to owning a mondeo ?

Maurice

Comment

Yep, nothing to be ashamed of here. 2.0 16valve Ghia spec. One on the most comfortable cars I've owned. Just a shame it's front wheel drive.

Comment

mot and insurance running out soon so will be transfering onto spanish plates next month. soooooo many uk cars out here that haven`t bothered tho, no mot no tax no insurance and they aint too bothered about it either. think the police in larger areas like benalmadena and the like are a bit more observant but where i live they just leave people alone. i prefer to be legal as its safer knowing the car is mechanically sound and fully insured. i look after my surf and she looks after me. by the way there are some great mountain tracks for off roading with stunning views. couldnt live with normal car out here to be honest. to many potholes. make the move mate you won`t regret it
                          Ian

Comment

Working...
                          X