One for the IT / Telecom Literate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the IT / Telecom Literate

Right Guys and Gals....got a good problem to solve...

Setting up VOIP at work...
    Public Addresses are all Staticly defined by BT
    Private Addresses on the LAN side of the Router
    Using NAT and Firewall

Main office configured DLINK ADSL Router with 2 static private addresses, DHCP providing others
    Lan clients configured with TCP, UDP port forwarding etc...
    Can Ping, Telnet into the machine - everything seems fine

Setting up another at our branch...
    same setup - can Ping but cant telnet into the router. Can ping the Gateway, Static IP and the LAN address of the router but doesn't wanna communicate from the external address.

Got me well and truly stumped! doesnt seem to wanna pass comunications between the Internal LAN and WAN from another site.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 13 March 2006, 23:26.
    Gaz

Was firewall on when setting up router?

Had nout but probs with XP firewall so now disable it till all else set up, tested, reset, retested and finaly switched it back on.

Gaz, have you tried 'Black ice' firewall software?

Fish
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I see the problem. Firstly you need to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and reconnect to the warp core using fresh delithium crystals. Take care though, 'cos you run the risk of distrupting the impulse drive.
      Also I would suggest that you up-grade the flux capacitor unit to a more user friendly version where it will work below 88 mph, and use less plutonium.
      Don't forget the cloaking device needs at least 1.21 gigawatts of power to initiate and function correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
        Was firewall on when setting up router?

Had nout but probs with XP firewall so now disable it till all else set up, tested, reset, retested and finaly switched it back on.

Gaz, have you tried 'Black ice' firewall software?

Fish
        Thanks for trying Kev...but this is not for Data networks it purely Voice.

Have to set the NAT to keep hidden Private IP Addresses and the firewall on the Router itself to allow port forwarding rules [from memory - might be wrong]

Port Start Port End Port Map
        5000....... 5000 .....5000... TCP
        6001....... 6001..... 6001... UDP
        9000....... 9000..... 9000... UDP
        30000..... 30032.... 30000.. UDP
        1400-4999........... 1400.... TCP,UDP

Static IP A is provided with these, Static IP B is provided with 30000-30032 UDP only.

Purely Voice over IP here with the Routers on their own ADSL Links [company not gone for integrated Voice and Data network to ensure some Quality of Service - as best as ADSL can offer anyway]

PS: that flux capacitor must have been the thing I chucked against the wall and then out the window after several head scratching sessions.
        Last edited by Gizmo; 13 March 2006, 23:30.
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          Right Guys and Gals....got a good problem to solve...

Setting up VOIP at work...
          Public Addresses are all Staticly defined by BT
          Private Addresses on the LAN side of the Router
          Using NAT and Firewall

Main office configured DLINK ADSL Router with 2 static private addresses, DHCP providing others
          Lan clients configured with TCP, UDP port forwarding etc...
          Can Ping, Telnet into the machine - everything seems fine

Setting up another at our branch...
          same setup - can Ping but cant telnet into the router. Can ping the Gateway, Static IP and the LAN address of the router but doesn't wanna communicate from the external address.

Got me well and truly stumped! doesnt seem to wanna pass comunications between the Internal LAN and WAN from another site.
          Gizmo is thier any chance you can mock up a quick sketch of your setup and i will have a look. I'm unclear on what you are connecting too from the text.

Am I correct in saying, on the remote sites (2) you have D-Link ADSL routers (NAT / Firewall enabled), all with static IP on the WAN and static private address on the LAN. What are you connecting too, another simaler set up?

Does the firewall at the destination allow the option to port forward dependent on source IP, for instance you can say only forward requests from IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?

Comment

Is it me or have Surfs got more complicated recently? I'm pretty sure mines just got an engine, but then it is a Gen 2 I suppose

Comment

You should have a cloaking device then, most 2nd gens do.

Comment

can we go back to english please
                I'll get me coat
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

static ip's is the way forward
                  I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_bax
                    Gizmo is thier any chance you can mock up a quick sketch of your setup and i will have a look. I'm unclear on what you are connecting too from the text.

Am I correct in saying, on the remote sites (2) you have D-Link ADSL routers (NAT / Firewall enabled), all with static IP on the WAN and static private address on the LAN. What are you connecting too, another simaler set up?

Does the firewall at the destination allow the option to port forward dependent on source IP, for instance you can say only forward requests from IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?

As stated using Static IPs on the external WAN interface and Static IPs on the Private LAN.
                    Basically there are going to be 5 sites [HQ, and 4 branches]. At the HQ and the Blackburn branch are OfficeServ boxes with the Blackburn hanging of the Eccles for Voice Mailbox features.

All routers are configured to Port Forward the port addresses provided. You can provide Firewall Rules as well...but using MAC addresses of the Source/Destination.

Would have thought that the Port forwarding would have allowed the routing between the Internal/External Interfaces [Especially as the HQ Router works fine as I am able to Ping/Telnet into it----blackburn can only ping]

Possibly it could be the firewall blocking but as stated Eccles works fine with the same configuration

As you will appreciate I've not given the true IP addresses but a representation
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Gizmo; 14 March 2006, 21:21.
                    Gaz

Comment

Are you trying to telnet to it remotely using the external wan ip, or internally to the lan ip? If you're remote, then you'd usually have to enable remote admin / remote management through the web interface. Not sure with the D-Link, but its usually just a tick box.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                        As stated using Static IPs on the external WAN interface and Static IPs on the Private LAN.
                        Basically there are going to be 5 sites [HQ, and 4 branches]. At the HQ and the Blackburn branch are OfficeServ boxes with the Blackburn hanging of the Eccles for Voice Mailbox features.

All routers are configured to Port Forward the port addresses provided. You can provide Firewall Rules as well...but using MAC addresses of the Source/Destination.

Would have thought that the Port forwarding would have allowed the routing between the Internal/External Interfaces [Especially as the HQ Router works fine as I am able to Ping/Telnet into it----blackburn can only ping]

Possibly it could be the firewall blocking but as stated Eccles works fine with the same configuration

As you will appreciate I've not given the true IP addresses but a representation
                        Hi mate, when you telnet out of the blackburn site i presume you are telneting to a specific service TCP port of the samsung officeserv boxes.

Can you test telneting out of blacburn to another (different) public IP on the same port. This would test if the blackburn router has the issue letting the port request out, or if the HQ router is rejecting the request from Blackburn, if you follow my logic.

You could do this by setting up an IIS box to publish a web page (or more importantly the service) on a particular port number (the one used by the OfficeServ boxes), you could do this on a laptop with a dial up really as long as port x is listening on an ip, obviously turn off any firewalls on the laptop (Xp sp2 etc).

Hope that makes sense, and gives you some sort of direction to move in.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by mooter
                          static ip's is the way forward
                          I just put mine into DRIVE and away it goes.
                          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

and for those that dont speak i.t....
                            http://www.developingmemories.com/Sp...its%20Head.JPG
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_bax
                              Hi mate, when you telnet out of the blackburn site i presume you are telneting to a specific service TCP port of the samsung officeserv boxes.

Can you test telneting out of blacburn to another (different) public IP on the same port. This would test if the blackburn router has the issue letting the port request out, or if the HQ router is rejecting the request from Blackburn, if you follow my logic.

You could do this by setting up an IIS box to publish a web page (or more importantly the service) on a particular port number (the one used by the OfficeServ boxes), you could do this on a laptop with a dial up really as long as port x is listening on an ip, obviously turn off any firewalls on the laptop (Xp sp2 etc).

Hope that makes sense, and gives you some sort of direction to move in.

Cheers.

We have a broadband network on a different setup and using htis to get out onto the web if I telnet to the external IP onto port 5000 I can gain access to the Router at Eccles [from either office] but try the same to the router at blackburn [from either office] and it says no open connection available.

If you hang a Laptop or IP Phone of the external it appears on the Eccles as an extension...same if it hangs internally but internal -> external and vice versa it seems to be blocked [no firewall rules actived to block ports and port forwarding correct]

Gonna swap the Eccles router with the one at Blackburn, give it a test at eccles and see if it works to clarify that it is something at the Blackburn end of the link.

Rob...There are tick boxes for the Web and Telnet Mangement Services, this is true but I am just getting through the ports to prove the internal/external transfer works not to actually remotely manage it..so the port forwarding should allow me through the router and prove that communication is possible. Cheers for you reply...all are welcome to do with the issue!!!!!
                              Last edited by Gizmo; 15 March 2006, 20:00.
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X