Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has my 4wd failed or is it my tyres?

Hi,

We went on our regular ride up to Clee Hill in Shropshire today and took our usual rough track to get to a quiet high spot to walk the dogs and look at the view etc.

I selected 4wd on my KZN130 and at the same time I heard a knocking/grinding noise coming from the offside front, at first I thought it was a mud flap dragging on the ground and thought nothing more of it.

We got to a part of the track that was a little steeper only to find we came to a halt with the rear wheels spinning, the ground was soft after the recent rain and despite trying all the low and high range combinations the only way out was to reverse and turn around and go back the way we came but even then the rear wheels were spinning away as if it was in 2wd. The tyres aren't the best off roader type but trying again later on a less steeper bank where I could roll back to the road if I got stuck again it was if I had it in 2wd. I couldn't remeber how heavy the steering is when in 4wd, but today there didn't seem much difference. The light on the dash went on & off in time with selection of 4 or 2wd.

I do have some AT tyres to go on next week but in the meantime is it possible my 4wd isn’t engaging and the knocking/grinding noise is a broken transfer box ?

Other than that 3 months on and I'm still grinnng.

Could be something to do with the ADD system.

http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/axles&diffs.html

Comment

The sumo distruction manual says
      HIT IT WITH A HAMMER

No seriously have you checked to is one of the vacume pipes has come off or split (I assume that it was working before?)
      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
        HIT IT WITH A HAMMER

No seriously have you checked to is one of the vacume pipes has come off or split (I assume that it was working before?)

Don't you mean ....'The Sumo fine adjustment' manual?

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
          HIT IT WITH A HAMMER

I'll check tomorrow as it was definately working before as I demostrated it to er indoors, 2wd drive, wheels spin, 4wd drive it pulled away without effort.

Where should I be looking for loose or damaged hoses ?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse
            I'll check tomorrow as it was definately working before as I demostrated it to er indoors, 2wd drive, wheels spin, 4wd drive it pulled away without effort.

Cheers.
            Now thats a good question ?????

The best thing to do is to go on a voyage of discovery and try to follow any wires /pipes from the gear box /transfer box to their other end.Better still ask TonyN,My old 1st gen aint as modern as the rest of those young bloods and dont have all the electical gizmos,so I dont get to anything that isnt mechanial (sorry)
            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse

Cheers.

Heres another link for your perusal...http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/index.htm

Comment

Working...
              X