Self build~ Timber frame home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self build~ Timber frame home

Im looking to purchase a house in the next 12 months and have been looking into possibly self building using timber frame home. Does anyone know anything about or has experienced them before?Also know any good builders in the hemel area?
    Kite Surf

Chillit will know all about it on a smaller scale.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

living in a shed you say.......
      loads of info in self build magazine, hard part is finding a plot. if you have reasonable hand eye coordination, and can take guidance from professionals, then go for it, its an advnture, and then a home too...
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        Chillit will know all about it on a smaller scale.
        Chillit?
        Last edited by surfstar; 8 March 2006, 12:22.
        Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
          Chillit?
          yes mate?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            yes mate?
            Who are they and what do they do?
            Kite Surf

Comment

chillitt is me! i used to build houses, and i have an er..interest in sheds! as for what i do, nowadays i sit in me shop and stay warm and dry. most of my holidays get hijacked by mates wanting houses knocked into shape.
              you should be able to co ordinate a timber frame self build yourself, with the aid of a few tradesmen, for footings, leccy and plumbing, buy a copy of Self Build magazine there will be loads of contacts and advice in there.
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

concrete base with drains in.......big frames bolted to base.....roof on and walls skinned......nice and toasty to work inside while brick skin is added. They arent difficult and usually come with adequate destructions. Was a firm up near the Dumfries---ish that did good kits.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                  concrete base with drains in.......big frames bolted to base.....roof on and walls skinned......nice and toasty to work inside while brick skin is added. They arent difficult and usually come with adequate destructions. Was a firm up near the Dumfries---ish that did good kits.

thats just the cheap part. you then have got the wife wanting to furnish and decorate it
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                    Found my dream design that is £30K for 4 beds and 200sq/m but i imagine that the cheap part, the foundations and utilities are goona cost a bomb
                    Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      thats just the cheap part. you then have got the wife wanting to furnish and decorate it
                      Yup..........

Comment

This'll get you started....http://www.self-build.co.uk/default....d-07d21f99a64c

This is where all that money goes....http://www.self-build.co.uk/sites/bu...Estimating.xls
                        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 8 March 2006, 17:06.

Comment

Finished building brick house about 3yrs ago and as you predicted, final fitting pushed us well above budget . We were planning to have a brick garage but as it was so close to the house and itself rather large, we opted for a oak timber framed two bay cart lodge. Picked it up on 3.5 tonner. As the pad was done with the rest of the house ground works, put the frame up in a day and the stud work in fill the next and the third day was for the roof rafters. Easy!!! Now waitng for time to nail on the oak boarding and the money to pay someone to do the ridge and the job will be a goodun . Den

Comment

Just finished my kit house 6 months ago. As long as you know a few friends with trades it's a great thing to do.

I got my kit from Scotframe,(Cumbernauld/Inverurie) they do a good range of kits.

Most kits include the basics such as, joists, flooring, insulation, partitions, plasterboard, various roughing timber,finishings, windows,doors,trusses,sarking, felt etc etc.

Its up to you to buy things like,cement, Blocks,concrete for solums lintels, sills, tiles/slates,plaster, paint, steps(outside),heating,bathroo ms, kitchens etc.

Took me about 1 year to do but that was self build evenings and weekends. Worth the work when you see the end product.
                            Last edited by smiffy; 9 March 2006, 19:08.
                            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
                              Im looking to purchase a house in the next 12 months and have been looking into possibly self building using timber frame home. Does anyone know anything about or has experienced them before?Also know any good builders in the hemel area?
                              yes chillit is the king of the timber
                              and tree houses
                              Enjoying Life after Cancer
                              Pops

Comment

Working...
                              X