thinking of a Hilux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of a Hilux

Well this is my 1st post here so please be kind!!

I'm planning on taking to off roading and greenlane driving this year after going out off road in a in my mates motors. I've been short listing a few 4x4's and a Hilux surf is on my list, but i would like to ask a few questions.

1. What MPG would i be looking at from a 2.4DT Intercooled? (I have a 2.5V6 vectra at the moment so i'm sure it cant be bad as that?)

2. I would be using the Hilux as my main car, how well would it cope with this?

3. How bad is the insurance? (i'm 21 with 1.5 years NCB and a clean slate)

4. What are the running costs? (brakes, tyers, etc)

5. Do Surfs have any common fults to look out for?

Thanks
    Chris

Originally posted by ebiff2k
    Well this is my 1st post here so please be kind!!

I'm planning on taking to off roading and greenlane driving this year after going out off road in a in my mates motors. I've been short listing a few 4x4's and a Hilux surf is on my list, but i would like to ask a few questions.

1. What MPG would i be looking at from a 2.4DT Intercooled? (I have a 2.5V6 vectra at the moment so i'm sure it cant be bad as that?)

2. I would be using the Hilux as my main car, how well would it cope with this?

3. How bad is the insurance? (i'm 21 with 1.5 years NCB and a clean slate)

4. What are the running costs? (brakes, tyers, etc)

5. Do Surfs have any common fults to look out for?

Thanks
    Chris

best thing you can do mate is get ya self tucked in to the forum via the search button at the top, take ya time and all will be answered......

oh and welcome to the forum...

p.s 2.4 doesnt have a intercooler unless u fit them your self.....only some models of the third gen come with them as stock......
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
      p.s 2.4 doesnt have a intercooler unless u fit them your self.....only some models of the third gen come with them as stock......
      Doh, that will be e-bay confusing me!!

Comment

Hi Chris, heres some information for your perusal.....

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/

Comment

Hi,

Nice to see another potential young owner (i'm 23). I bought my 2nd gen 3.0td ssrx in november and it's been great! Parts seem ok (pair of brakes discs and pads £65) and its a really reliable car. whats your budget? If possible i would go for a 3.0 as the mpg difference is non existent, but you will notice the gain in grunt. Now in a lame attempt ot answer your questions:

1. Mpg is anything from 22mpg-30mpg dependant on how you drive and what roads etc. (mines around 22mpg as i'm still used to the skyline!)

2. Its great as a main car, you can take anything anywhere in comfort, it doesn't wallow round bents like an old landrover, and there's loads of creature comforts inside!

3. Insurance - at a guess its probably about the same as the vectra. its definatly cheaper than my skyline was! I'm 23 with 6 years no claims and the 3.0 costs £600 fully comp.

4. Running costs are quite good as there's some good online shops selling all the bits you'd ever need, and being a toyota its quite rare for things to fall off. tyres can be a little pricy (£60-£100 each) but good ones will last for 50000 miles, so it balances out.

5. The main common fault discussed is headproblems on the 2.4's. If you buy a 2.4 get proof that its been sorted, or a gaurantee that if it blows, they'll fix it.

Hope that helps! otherwise use the search button up there somewhere ^^

cheers,

Mart
          Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

i'm looking at spending about £3500, i cant find any low milage 3.0 for that price.

Comment

i'm looking at spending about £3500, i cant find any low milage 3.0 for that price.

I used to have a veccy 2.5 V6 CDX and always had the climate control on as it was a company car, I think it always got around 27 according to the computer and I always drove it in hooligan mode. Loved pulling the handbrake on whilst moving "BANG" went the calipers every time. That was a strange set up.

The surf will be about the same MPG if you tread carefully.

The 3.0 is a better buy as backed by popular opinion as the power hike over the 2.4 is more than the 600CC suggests.

However, the 2.4 is a very capable vehicle and resides on another level to that occupied by LR.

Al.
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much on the mileage issue, the motors laaaaasssssttt!
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                  I wouldn't worry too much on the mileage issue, the motors laaaaasssssttt!

Aye,

Tis more important that the car has been looked after rather than just having a low mileage. Low mileage is great, but if the cars not been cleaned regularly and serviced properly its worthless, as a well looked after higher mileage truck will run and run cos the mechanicals will run and run if looked after.

best of luck, and I would definatly hunt well for a bargain 3.0. They are out there!

cheers,

Mart
                  Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

hi mate
                    i have a 2.4, live in london with 6 points/1claim/2yrs NCB and im 22 and im paying 1200ish which is hefty cos of london postcode but i reckon you will pay the same as the vectra.
                    mpg is 16-23ish.
                    ive had it 18months or so and love it - ive also got 202,000kms on the clock now
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                    X