X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Could Hold A Shock For 4x4 Drivers

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...071718,00.html

More taxes on the way....

Well Well, there's a suprise! The only way this Government is going to help reduce emmisions is when they can make money out of it.
    So using veg oil to save the atmosphere means nothing then!

Comment

Since the emissions tests for tax purposes only came in a couple of years ago (2002 I think_ ), he'll have a hard time taxing my '94 on its emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
        How are they going to police this? Are they just going to lump all of the high emissions vehicles in the same category or will it be based on MOT emissions testing? If the latter, we can all chuck a load of Vege in the tank before the MOT and see the testers checking their equipment to see if its broken !!

Does this mean all the MP's with their gas guzzling Jags sat in London traffic jams while driving 1/2 a mile to work will be paying a higher tax as well?

. . . I thought not.
        Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
          How are they going to police this? Are they just going to lump all of the high emissions vehicles in the same category or will it be based on MOT emissions testing? If the latter, we can all chuck a load of Vege in the tank before the MOT and see the testers checking their equipment to see if its broken !!

Does this mean all the MP's with their gas guzzling Jags sat in London traffic jams while driving 1/2 a mile to work will be paying a higher tax as well?

. . . I thought not.
          The Chancellor is examining proposals from the RAC Foundation for a new £200 top rate of vehicle excise duty, to cover cars that produce more than 250g of carbon dioxide per kilometre.

that to me reads that there will be an increase on the existing road tax charge, up to a max of £200. cars that produce less emissions are probably going to get a tax decrease.

how much is a years tax at the moment? £160? so that's a potential increase of £40 or 25%.

whatever, I don't think it will be based on the actual emissions test itself. they have guidelines set up which give the emissions for different vehicles - http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/ved/ - which funnily enough don't cover surfs!

your emissions and engine size then go to make up your tax band - http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm

although as far as I can work out, it only applies to cars registered after march 2001 - not sure how this applies to imports though? mine was made in 91, but registered here in 2003!

i shall investigate...
          I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
          X