What the hell do I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell do I do now?

My 2.4 Surf finally had the head go on it, not entirely unusual you will agree.

So, found a new head trhat came complete with valves and camshaft and engaged local garage to fit it thinking "well at least I will know it has been done so will have peace of mind that the worst has already happened". It has come back and oil is leaking from all around the joint between head and block. The garage say "well, is a risk with a reconditioned head" and also that maybe the gasket (supplied with the head) was not good quality. I went ballistic as the people I bought it off told me I was buying a new head. So I rang them. They insist that it IS a new head and will stand behind their guarantee and exchange it for another if it is faulty but were puzzled as they hadn't come across this problem before. They later rang back and said that as far as they know this problem could be caused by failure to use new stretch bolts, which I purchased along with head and can see no reason why garage shouldn't use, or by installing the gasket upside down.

Now, how do I find who is at fault here, the local garage are hardly going to strip it down and admit they made a mistake but if I use another one, it will obviously cost me even more money and I have paid out £865 already which is a lot of money to me, more than a month's take-home pay. Meanwhile after taking the Surf back to garage to have them check the torque on the head bolts I can still see tiny bubbles of oil appearing along the join.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by Flannelmeister
    My 2.4 Surf finally had the head go on it, not entirely unusual you will agree.

So, found a new head trhat came complete with valves and camshaft and engaged local garage to fit it thinking "well at least I will know it has been done so will have peace of mind that the worst has already happened". It has come back and oil is leaking from all around the joint between head and block. The garage say "well, is a risk with a reconditioned head" and also that maybe the gasket (supplied with the head) was not good quality. I went ballistic as the people I bought it off told me I was buying a new head. So I rang them. They insist that it IS a new head and will stand behind their guarantee and exchange it for another if it is faulty but were puzzled as they hadn't come across this problem before. They later rang back and said that as far as they know this problem could be caused by failure to use new stretch bolts, which I purchased along with head and can see no reason why garage shouldn't use, or by installing the gasket upside down.

Now, how do I find who is at fault here, the local garage are hardly going to strip it down and admit they made a mistake but if I use another one, it will obviously cost me even more money and I have paid out £865 already which is a lot of money to me, more than a month's take-home pay. Meanwhile after taking the Surf back to garage to have them check the torque on the head bolts I can still see tiny bubbles of oil appearing along the join.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    First thing I would do is establish if they did use the new head bolts and what figure did they use for the torque. It could be they simply have not tightened them enough because they did not know the figure to use (i don't either but someone will be along soon with the info)

Second garage option is a dead end, yes, you will probably get it put right but you will be out of pocket big time as the first lot will not credit you back your hard earned.

I would try and keep a pleasant working relationship with the first lot and work with them to solve the problem in a mutually satisfying way. If this fails get the local trading standards involved.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
      First thing I would do is establish if they did use the new head bolts and what figure did they use for the torque. It could be they simply have not tightened them enough because they did not know the figure to use (i don't either but someone will be along soon with the info)

Second garage option is a dead end, yes, you will probably get it put right but you will be out of pocket big time as the first lot will not credit you back your hard earned.

I would try and keep a pleasant working relationship with the first lot and work with them to solve the problem in a mutually satisfying way. If this fails get the local trading standards involved.

Al.

i agree ...... keep in touch with them and be pleasant at all times, you may not feel like it, but if you do have to go to the trading standards then you will have that on your side....
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

There is no way they could check the torque settings as they are 35 n/m, then 78 n/m then + 90 degrees and THEN ANOTHER + 90 degrees!! This is why you use new bolts. Saying that my head has original bolts from when i changed it. It is possible they got gasket on wrong way round, but i think that would cause water problems as well???

Comment

It has come back and oil is leaking from all around the joint between head and block. The garage say "well, is a risk with a reconditioned head" and also that maybe the gasket (supplied with the head) was not good quality. .
          If its a new head this quote doesn't hold water. the new head should be flat, and they should have checked the block deck is flat.

Having said that, I've seen lots of Surfs that blow tiny amounts of oil from just by the engine number, that have had new heads and still original ones, its not normally enough to warrent taking the head off if you have to pay for it.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            If its a new head this quote doesn't hold water. the new head should be flat, and they should have checked the block deck is flat.

Having said that, I've seen lots of Surfs that blow tiny amounts of oil from just by the engine number, that have had new heads and still original ones, its not normally enough to warrent taking the head off if you have to pay for it.
            I had oil on my block by the engine serial number devastated to see it.Fortunately it was the breather pipe from rocker cover to the air intake the clip was loose.Its a long shot but check that pipe/clip.Good luck mate.ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by ALZ
              I had oil on my block by the engine serial number devastated to see it.Fortunately it was the breather pipe from rocker cover to the air intake the clip was loose.Its a long shot but check that pipe/clip.Good luck mate.ALZ
              It is unlikely, if I look at the join between head and block I can actually see tiny bubbles of oil being forced out.

Can someone take a look at the picture HERE that shows the block and head just above the engine number on the nearside towards the front. To my eyes the gasket going straight across the "cut in" in the head looks wrong and may indicate the gasket is incorrectly fitted. Perhaps a 2.4 owner could have a look at their own vehicle and let me know if it looks different.
              Last edited by Flannelmeister; 6 March 2006, 16:19. Reason: additional information/picture
              [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

It is unlikely, if I look at the join between head and block I can actually see tiny bubbles of oil being forced out.

Can someone take a look at the picture HERE that shows the block and head just above the engine number on the nearside towards the front. To my eyes the gasket going straight across the "cut in" in the head looks wrong and may indicate the gasket is incorrectly fitted. Perhaps a 2.4 owner could have a look at their own vehicle and let me know if it looks different.
                Hi its ALZ I have a 2.4 and looking at your gasket its nothing like mine.My gasket runs parrallel with the edge of the block and not at an angle like yours
                unless the gasket design has changed its the wrong way round.Try to find your old gasket or a new one to compare before you/they strip it down unless they do it for free ( warranty I think the word is) Good luck mate Keep smiling.ALZ

Comment

Head Update

Well, gasket appears to be correct looking at the half moon cut-outs in the edge of the gasket at the back. Have checked with garage and they appear to have used the correct torquing up method.

Next Tuesday the head comes off and goes for pressure testing.

One thing, Is it recommended to use any kind of gasket sealing compound or should the gasket alone be used?

I have this horrid feeling that the head will come back ok and the mechanic will say "sorry, one of those things, I did it right" or "it must have been a faulty gasket" which was supplied with the head. Of course there is no way yo prove the gasket at fault I suppose so will be in position of not being able to claim the cost of refitting and head testing from anyone. Another £300 I don't have down the swannee.

I am SO annoyed that words are inadequate, it I end up paying twice it would have been cheaper to have put it on a transporter and sent it to Stevo all the way up in Stockport.

Comment

Working...
                  X