OMG! wasp nest, what should i do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! wasp nest, what should i do

Just clearing the loft and I have spotted a nest about the size of a Very large orange clung to one of the trusses.

I absolutley kin hate wasps, any ideas. Will post pics if you like.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

try and find where they are coming in through the eaves.....spray wasp powder ...job done. you need to find entry point as they track the powder into the nest from there.........

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
      try and find where they are coming in through the eaves.....spray wasp powder ...job done. you need to find entry point as they track the powder into the nest from there.........

Its clear they came in thru an air vent brick just a few inches away from the nest. They are not coming in now of course. Is it safe to rip it off the truss? do wasps stay inside these things in the winter?

Al.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
        Its clear they came in thru an air vent brick just a few inches away from the nest. They are not coming in now of course. Is it safe to rip it off the truss? do wasps stay inside these things in the winter?

Al.
        As far as i know they'll probably be some in there, but if its cold they'll be really dozy and lucky if they can even fly! The old technique for wasp nest on the farm was a good bucket of deisel, drop a lit rag on it and run like a wasp with its ass on fire! Then whatever's left the badgers would eat. Badgers are well know for taking apart an entire wasp nest in one sitting. They still get stung, but they love eating the grubs so much they carry on anyway!

Not sure if either of my sugestions help you out with it bein in the loft, unless you know a badger with some climbing gear.

Mart
        Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Go to B&Q or the garden center and get a can of nest destroyer. it's in a spray can and it comes out like shaving foam but in a long range spray so you can spray it from 6ft away.

it covers the nest with a poison that they pick up as they go in and out, and after a few days the nest is safe to throw, but also any wasps who were out at the time are killed as well so you don't have them round the house looking for a new home.

Comment

if i remember you can get in touch with the council and they can send someone out or just get in touch with a local pest controller
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
              Not sure if either of my sugestions help you out with it bein in the loft, unless you know a badger with some climbing gear.

Mart
              LOL - Quality
              Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Thanx 4 all the help folks.
                I wonder if this destroyer stuff will work if the wasps are all asleep. no wasps are coming or going as its winter. the critters will all be inside knocking out the zeds zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

they are most likely all dead now, put a bag round it and knock it off with a stick.
                  Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

if its only the size of an orange there wont be many if any in at this time of year, if any well dopey , get a plastic bag round it, seal it then do the diesel/match bit (but not in the loft!!!!!!!!!!)
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Knock into bag as above and put a tiny drop of petrol in. The fumes kill em deader than a dead thing.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

save it till summer, then hang it up with some string and tell dumb Americans that it's full of sweets... they hit it with sticks.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Get a tin of Lynx n a lighter n aim true

Comment

Thanx for all the suggestions,

I plucked up the courage today to have a go and used some wasp death in a spray can, a $$$$$$ long stick and a plastic bag

In the end it was rather a non-event and with a single prod it dropped from the eves into the bag without so much as a slightly annoyed buzz from any would be attackers.

Al.

Comment

wasps this weather black bag it and leave for bin men day
                              thats wot i did once as said prob all dead now
                              Enjoying Life after Cancer
                              Pops

Comment

Working...
                              X