Duty on VegOil Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty on VegOil Warning

Dont know if youve read the posting on the veg-oil but thought I'd warn y'all anyway....was told today by guy at C&E that the duty would be 53.27 and not 27p or 47p

FAQ on Website why VegOil isnt classified as Diesel Quality http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ocument#P9_869
    Last edited by Gizmo; 27 February 2006, 22:12.
    Gaz

Originally posted by Gizmo
    Dont know if youve read the posting on the veg-oil but thought I'd warn y'all anyway....was told today by guy at C&E that the duty would be 53.27 and not 27p or 47p

FAQ on Website why VegOil isnt classified as Diesel Quality http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ocument#P9_869
    So they are saying that you pay more tax on veg than diesel? Which at last count was 47p

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
      Great post, we've been following this issue here, as I am sure they are on the Biodiesel and Vegoil forums.

The thing is, nothing in those "briefings" states that "this briefing has the force of law".

The way it works is that the tax office 'takes a view', which they have done.

Please see my other post, "Vegoil, Customs & Excise, Hydrogenation"

I am a sometime hairdresser, and sometime tax legal accountant, and in my opinion (I don't know how their hair looks), the tax office are talking twaddle.

The local mission of the tax office is to garner revenue. Not to look at the broader issues, just to get tax in for the exchequer.

And, as far as a game of football goes, they are winning.

But they are not the referee. They are not god.

The lawcourts are.

The tax office can tell you their view, (ie, vegoil attracts 50p duty) *But* that is not legal till the judge sings. And in my view, the tax office is simply wrong.

This needs to go to court to be sorted out, or addressed at some very senior level within government to get them to see sense.

I would be happy to help anyone who wants to take this further, for example, by not paying the full duty.

See ya

Peter

Comment

cant find any confirmation of the 53.27p duty anywhere else
        hope not, will stop using veg if thats the case
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
        X