Personal Import??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Import??

After scouring the web to source our new surf, I came across a company who will ship surfs to the uk. Site is very informative of features and good pics. For example, there is a '99 Surf SSR-G with 39,000 kms on it for $14500, which equates to just over 8 grand, with shipping it came to $15700.

Ok, the questions

1) Can I import as a private buyer

2) What will the other costs be, vat, import tax...etc

3) How much for SVA

4) Anybody any advice as to whether this is a good option to take

any advice appreciated....pros/cons

I have imported a car before, but everything was done for me

I'm not interested in this one, but it gives an idea of the pic qualities
    Attached Files

I'm sure this was covered in some detail a while ago. Try a search,you should find something useful.
    Pete

Comment

Try this link:
      http://www.jpdirect.co.uk/cost_calculator.htm

Tells you the price of all the associated charges.
      Ian
      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

nice little link thanks icsys

Comment

Full story here

I posted a full set of instructions on how to import a vehicle from Japan a while ago, but it keeps getting buried under the avalanche of posts on here.

If you want to read it then take a visit to :

http://www.hitenter.co.uk

click on the motoring link

Hit Enter

When the page appears click on the animated racing car.

You will see a whole load of crystal clear info on what to do. It really is this easy to do it.

Regards

Rob G

Comment

thanks wibblywobbly, I've bookmarked your site and it makes an interesting read.

thanks for the free info

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

I am in the same position as Fieldsy. I found an agent in Japan by Google.jp, have access to the main car auctions and when I find an interesting car, a can make a bid. Did this a week before Christmas and my bid of 650.000 Yen for a 1994 Surf with 25.000 km did not meet the reserve. So I wait for the next auctions. But there seems to be a slow start with not so many cars on offer. Just before Christmas there were more than 300 Surfs in the auctions.

But I have a problem now. As the fixed cost like agent fee and CIF are considerable it makes sense to me to spend some more money on a newer car, i.e. a 1996. But the new regulations for the SVA test (in this case the Extended SVA) say that for cars under ten years with a seperate chassis and four wheel drive require a special steering test to EC standards. This can cost 730 pounds + VAT. There also should be the normal ESVA fee. I found this hint at www.importedvehicles.co.uk. Can somebody explain this to me?

If you buy a car in an auction by an agent in Japan find out the FOB price to compare different agents. In my case as an example it is the auction price of 500.000 YEN + 5 % tax + a successful bid fee of 12.600 YEN + inland freight charge 4.500 YEN + agent fee 60.000 YEN + auction handling and documentation fee 15.000 YEN + forwarder charges 20.000 YEN + custom clearances 8.000 YEN + port fee 7.000 YEN + marine insurance 11.000 YEN + ocean freight charge 80.000 YEN. This sums up to an amount of 743.100 YEN CIF UK price. You then have to add customs, VAT, etc.

If you work out the amount in GPD look at the exchange rate for the "Devisenkurs" (sorry, I only know it in German). You have to buy YEN , but not to pay the tourist rate.

I apologize for this extended mail, but there are so many details you have to look at when you import a car.

If you are interested I keep you informed about my way to a Surf.

Best wishes,
              Peter

Comment

Working...
              X