Mini Moto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Moto

Anyone got any tips for starting 2 strokes?
    Haven't started my boys mini motos for a couple of months and they won't start.

Certainly a good excercise for warming you up though.

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Biggest tip. Small strokers hate stale petrol and it goes very stale in the carb. find the carb drain and open it, drain through half a jamjar full

Then take out the spark plug and tip a teaspoon of neat 2 stroke oil down the hole.

turn the engine a couple of times with ignition off

fit the plug to the plug lead and rest it against the engine. turn it over and check there is a spark (carefull here about getting a shock - marigolds on if in doubt

put a dribble of fresh petrol (less than a teaspoon) in the plughole

replace the plug and lead and try starting

My money is on the stale petrol so this should sort it with a bit of luck

Comment

Cheers

Both tanks were dry, so sounds about right. will give it a go.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

stand away from any fuel.... and pre-heat plug with a ciggy lighter.. wipe off soot and try......
        or put plugs under grill for 5 mins... (turning occasionally ) he-he.....

should sort you out... done it loads of times in my biking days.....
        also use fresh fuel....

carl......
        Last edited by surfcarl; 26 February 2006, 21:09.
        gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
          Biggest tip. Small strokers hate stale petrol and it goes very stale in the carb. find the carb drain and open it, drain through half a jamjar full

Then take out the spark plug and tip a teaspoon of neat 2 stroke oil down the hole.

turn the engine a couple of times with ignition off

fit the plug to the plug lead and rest it against the engine. turn it over and check there is a spark (carefull here about getting a shock - marigolds on if in doubt

put a dribble of fresh petrol (less than a teaspoon) in the plughole

replace the plug and lead and try starting

My money is on the stale petrol so this should sort it with a bit of luck

If the tanks were dry, you might want to remove the fuel tap from the tank and clean the filter as it may have become blocked with silt from the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Son has gocart and scooter both above are spot on new juice and ciggy pre heat mind they flood easy
            #
            Enjoy the finger blisters
            Brian

Comment

Thanks guys, heard the one about warming the plug but wasn't sure if this was an old wives tail.

They have clear filters and I can see the fuel which looks OK, will have a butchers in carbs.

My wrist still hurts this morning

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
                My wrist still hurts this morning

Steve

Snigger!

Comment

Yeah - Heat the plug up... we use to use a blow lamp....

Comment

The alternative method is to leave it unattended on the drive for 10 mins. The local chavs will be riding it around in no time. You just have to figure how to get it back.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks Chaps

It worked, the one that had been not running for shortest period started first pull after teaspoon of petrol down bore and heating the plug with blow torch. The other a liitle more stubborn, I was almost recided to stripping carb when i thought bugger it sling 2 teaspoons in and heated plug. Bingo 2 happy chaps.

Just gotta fit new exhaust then off to our own personal race track.

Thanks again chaps

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X