X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to a Surf?

Hi there,

First post here (drinks are on me).

ME and 'er indoors are looking at getting a 4x4 and a Surf is on the short list. We went to test drive a Discovery today (2.5 TDi auto) and found it a bit gutless TBH. I've been told that the auto's are a bit like that so we're going to try and find a manual to test and see if it's any better.

We need plenty of room in the boot (2 nippers under 2 yrs old and all the paraphernalia that goes with a trip out is more than our 3-series BMW can cope with!! ) and I occasionally need to use it for work (I'm a dry stone waller) so a 4x4 is gonna be needed. As I see it the plus points of Discoverys are:
    • the TDi will do around 27 mpg, which is fairly respectable for a 4x4.
    • they're not an import (insurance and spares/servicing of Surfs concern me a tad)
    • there are plenty of 'em in dealers (we need to p/ex our car so buying privately is probably a no-go)
    • bright and airy inside
    • 'proper' back door (I'm not sure about the back door on a Surf. Is it right you have to lower the glass to open it?! )

Anyone on here had a Disco and can compare them with a Surf? Are they a viable alternative or are you gonna wave the flag and say there's nowt as good as a Surf?! (Rose-tinted glasses to one side if you can! ) Are there any other 4x4's that will do around 25mpg that might fit the bill for us?

Forgot to say, our budget is around £4000-£5000.

Cheers.

Originally posted by eccles291
    Hi there,

First post here (drinks are on me).

ME and 'er indoors are looking at getting a 4x4 and a Surf is on the short list. We went to test drive a Discovery today (2.5 TDi auto) and found it a bit gutless TBH. I've been told that the auto's are a bit like that so we're going to try and find a manual to test and see if it's any better.

We need plenty of room in the boot (2 nippers under 2 yrs old and all the paraphernalia that goes with a trip out is more than our 3-series BMW can cope with!! ) and I occasionally need to use it for work (I'm a dry stone waller) so a 4x4 is gonna be needed. As I see it the plus points of Discoverys are:
    • the TDi will do around 27 mpg, which is fairly respectable for a 4x4.
    • The Surf has a comparable mpg . As with any car it is how you drive it.
    • they're not an import (insurance and spares/servicing of Surfs concern me a tad)
    • Surfs are supported by main dealers and independent suppliers . Insurance is respectable for the type of car you are looking at . Just shop around.
    • there are plenty of 'em in dealers (we need to p/ex our car so buying privately is probably a no-go)
    • There are plenty of folks dealing in the Surf now.
    • bright and airy inside
    • Yes the Disco is brighter inside with all that glass . It's also colder.
    • 'proper' back door (I'm not sure about the back door on a Surf. Is it right you have to lower the glass to open it?! )
    • Down to personal taste . I much prefer the tailgate of the surf.

Anyone on here had a Disco and can compare them with a Surf? Are they a viable alternative or are you gonna wave the flag and say there's nowt as good as a Surf?! (Rose-tinted glasses to one side if you can! ) Are there any other 4x4's that will do around 25mpg that might fit the bill for us?

Forgot to say, our budget is around £4000-£5000.

Cheers.
    I have a Disco at the moment ,but I had my surf for about 4 years . You will find people falling over themselves to look after a Disco because it is a LR.
    If you like doing your own work or have a good mechanic the Surf will be just as good.
    They drive totally differently , so you should be able to work it out for yourself which you prefer.
    If I could find a good mechanic in the area I would still have my surf.
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Just add....

If you go for the 3rd Gen [96 onwards] you will find the back hinges up like your normal estate.

We have some friends that borrowed the nieces horse trailer and when they came to back it up to the stables its quite tight as the road also has ditches on one side I was asked if I would do it,

so I got in a drove it up there it took me 5 times to move backwards and forwards becuase of the rubbish turning circle on the Disco they have [not the old model]....managed to back the trailer using the Surf in one go when I've used the trailer to cart stuff to the tip.
      Last edited by Gizmo; 26 February 2006, 01:58.
      Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
        Just add....

If you go for the 3rd Gen [96 onwards] you will find the back hinges up like your normal estate.

We have some friends that borrowed the nieces horse trailer and when they came to back it up to the stables its quite tight as the road also has ditches on one side I was asked if I would do it,

so I got in a drove it up there it took me 5 times to move backwards and forwards becuase of the rubbish turning circle on the Disco they have [not the old model]....managed to back the trailer using the Surf in one go when I've used the trailer to cart stuff to the tip.

The rear tailgate of the 2nd gen is actually very useful. Only yesterday, mine was stacked with bricks and driven to the site where we were constructing an outdoor BBQ at our club. Its very strong and will take loads of weight.

Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

I had the 3rd gen Surf for two years up to last December when I moved to France so had to sell the Surf as I could not get it registered over here. At present I have a Discovery series two, before the Surf I had a Discovery TDI 300.

I have to say that to me the Surf was the better vehicle It felt tighter and it had bags of umph when you put your foot down. MPG is not as good as the Disco but the load space is bigger and more flexible. The build quality of the Discovery has improved and you can definately see the BMW influence. The five cylinder engine is a bit more lively than the old TDI 300 and is a hell of a lot quieter, but noiser than the Surf. Being tall and on the large side I found the Surf to be a little narrower and lower than I would have preferred but it was very comfortable and I never suffered any aches and pains on the long runs to France and back. The Disco on the other hand is wide light and airy and feels to fit me better.

I do miss my Surf and would go out and buy another one if I could find a left hand drive 3rd gen model that would be registerable in France. I did consider the Toyota Colerardo which is the same as the Surf mecanicals but I did not like the shape.

Hope that helps
          Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Something else that I just thought of. If MPG becomes your only negative in your decision. Use a percentage of Veg oil to bring cost down. Believe me, many surfs and I dare say disco's are running about with lots of veg oil in the tank. (not mine though as I don't like the smell)

Al.
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Disoc V's Surf

Just my 2 pence worth.....

Im 6'6" so need leg room, as well as finding the surf to have more leg room and more comfy on long drives I also find that it has about half the roll on bends when compaired to the disco (series 2), of course this can depend on what tyres you have and how you drive. The one other thing I found, being very tall is that as a pasenger in the rear of the disco I get sick..... this is due to the step in the roof as it stops me seing whats in front of me..... I only get to see about 2' of tarmac/mud. Lastly to backup what others have said, I use the tailgate of my surf all the time, for loads that stick out, for sitting on when out and about, I also find having the back window drop helps in this area as you can drop it to allow your load to stick out without having the boot open.

Rob
              Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Your Budget is enough for a 93-95 3.0TD Surf.

You may think I have the rose coloured goggles on, but quite honestly a 93-95 Surf will out perform any same age diesel discovery on all fronts apart the most extreme offroad situation, where the Disco's better front suspension articualtion will be slightly better.

The Surf looks better, has more load space, drives nicer, tows more (its slightly heavier), more powerful engine, more compact overall size, more ground clearance, more stylish, more reliable, etc, etc....

Need I go on?
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                  Something else that I just thought of. If MPG becomes your only negative in your decision. Use a percentage of Veg oil to bring cost down. Believe me, many surfs and I dare say disco's are running about with lots of veg oil in the tank. (not mine though as I don't like the smell)

Al.

Love that veg oil almost upto to 50% this weekend
                  Kite Surf

Comment

looked at various 4x4`s before opting for my surf and couldn`t find anything for my budget that looked as nice as the 13 year old beast that i opted for. and like others have said, things go wrong very rarely on a toyota and if they do they are relatively cheap and easy to sort out.also it drove 2600kms to southern spain fully loaded without missing a beat and is so comfy that i only stopped for a leg stretch every 6 hours or so. no rose tintes glasses here tho, i worked in the motor trade for 12 years and have driven litterally thousands of cars and 4x4`s so am using true comparrisons. get the surf guys and have many happy years of motoring and off roading.
                    Attached Files
                    Ian

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's really useful. (But then I knew it would be cos I've been reading the threads on here for a couple of weeks, even though I've not posted til now. ).

Originally, the Surf was our favourite going on looks alone but the points I listed in my first post starting swinging preference to the Disco, hence the test drive. Having read your feedback on the Surf it's coming back up in the running again.

Definitely time to find a Surf to test drive.

Comment

My 2 penneth ,

Disco's look like pope mobiles ,
                        Also being a little higher than the Surf , height restrictions getting under some barriers and multistory car parks may cause a problem.

Andy.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar
                          Love that veg oil almost upto to 50% this weekend
                          Hey Cris can you do me some Chips ?

There's always A Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by eccles291
                            Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's really useful. (But then I knew it would be cos I've been reading the threads on here for a couple of weeks, even though I've not posted til now. ).

Originally, the Surf was our favourite going on looks alone but the points I listed in my first post starting swinging preference to the Disco, hence the test drive. Having read your feedback on the Surf it's coming back up in the running again.

Definitely time to find a Surf to test drive.
                            Bought a Disco for the better half just over 3 years ago (a 94 300 tdi) and in that time have had the head gasket go, radiator replaced, rear shocks and all suspension bushes replaced, clutch and intercooler hoses. cost at time of buying was £6k and yes it is gutless when cold and especialy below 2000rpm till the turbo kicks in, so repair costs have been higher, with it only doing 40 thou mls in the time we have had it. The surf (a 98 3rd gen 3L) on the other hand, was bought by me for work 2 1/2 years ago, one brake cylinder and a battery are all Ive replaced (apart from damage done off roading), in 60 + thou mls and pulls from cold like a petrol car!
                            My next car is also a surf!!!!!

Fish
                            If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

My alternative to a Surf, would be another Surf.

Comment

Working...
                              X