What Were You Doing.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Were You Doing.........

..............When Your Surf Rolled Off The Production Line?

Was thinking about this today as I was driving home and the Surf was running extremely well, (I got to thinking that maybe it was running as well as it did when it was new!)

Wouldn't it have been a joy to have owned a brand spanking new Surf?

Mine is a 1993 2.4 SSR-X so as it was being built and delivered to some japanese showroom.....

I was in the Army at the time, 3rd Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment and I was stationed in Portadown, Co. Armagh.

I had just met my future wife in a pub, where she worked a barmaid (she was also at University!)

She was only 18 at the time I was 25!

I could drink 8 pints of lager (Stella Artois) every night, without wishing I was dead the next day! and I could run a marathon!

Our song was "Linger" by the Cranberries!

I was driving a 1108cc Renault 5 and could travel 2156 miles on a fiver

I earned £21.87 a day and £15.84 in travel expenses!

Was it THAT long ago?

Gary

Mine is a 1991 and we (thats me and my ex) were enjoying our third year in south Wales after moving here from Reading Berkshire. I had bought a brand,spanking shiney new, detatched house, after selling our tiny terraced house in Reading for top dollar 'cos of the property boom. I was fitting uPVC windows and doors for a small builders firm, in a couple of streets in Merthyr Tydfil. I was driving around in a Toyota Corolla 1.3, 'cos the clutch had just 'blown up' on my BMW 728i and as I was self employed I had to get to work! I was on £80 a day then, and using £10 a week in petrol! The Beemer was drinking £5 per day!

Happy days............

Comment

i was working in a camping/ climbing shop and stocking up on no.6 hangovers and i had just bought a brand spanking new GPZ900R. new leather jacket that i had painted the cover of broadsword and the beast by jethro tull on the back. the bike got nicked 2 years later and now i cant do the jacket up anymore. still got it on the peg by the door, just in case... happy days!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Mine 's a 1993 I was working at shepperton film studios for the in house fire service working on 2 feature length MACGUYVERS....a retained firefighter at cranleigh surrey and got married to my wife (MELONS) good year
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          new leather jacket that i had painted the cover of broadsword and the beast by jethro tull on the back. the bike got nicked 2 years later and now i cant do the jacket up anymore.

I had a demin cutoff with that picture at school painted by a artistic mate
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

ian, these youngs uns will be googling to try and find out what we are on about, bless em! we went to see em at hammersmith odeon.. sigh, feeling old now..
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

ian, these youngs uns will be googling to try and find out what we are on about, bless em! we went to see em at hammersmith odeon.. sigh, feeling old now..

Young uns? I'm six years older than Woodzie! But thanks for the compliment.

p.s. I'm married to a flute player.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Young uns? I'm six years older than Woodzie! But thanks for the compliment.

p.s. I'm married to a flute player.
                wot, with a big bushy beard, and stands on one leg?
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Maybe, when she's in her 80s.

Comment

My 4Runner is a 84, can't remember that far back.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

hehe, I was 3 when my 1st gen was built!! (Aug '84). And was living in at 1 Stratton Gardens, Luton.

3rd gen - Nov/Dec '95 - at school in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, was during my first term of Year 10

Comment

my 4 runners a 94....dare I say it.

I WAS STILL AT SCHOOL!!!!

Comment

I was about to make a very sensible mistake. Bought a house with the X about Feb 92 when my Surf was leaving the plant. She blew me in soon afterwards but we could not afford to sell cos the solicitors fees, months earlier had crippled us. I paid her off her half of the deposit over a year, kept the house in my name only, moved in with new chick at her house (now Mrs Phoebelala), rented the old house out for 10 years and sold 2 years ago for a bit more than it owed me

Al
                          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Its all the other groups we saw as well like Genesis , Elo, status quo, and QUEEN...... Pity that there are so few good gigs like them at this modern time
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                              hehe, I was 3 when my 1st gen was built!! (Aug '84). And was living in at 1 Stratton Gardens, Luton.

3rd gen - Nov/Dec '95 - at school in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, was during my first term of Year 10
                              i was 6 months when your 1st gen was built
                              93' must have been a non year cos i dont remember it...
                              Tim
                              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X