2 Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Fans

Well my baby is going to Stevo on Saturday, so now is the time for tweaking and faffing around.
    Took out the remains of the air con out and want to fit two fans in front of the radiator. I can grasp the basic electronics but unsure of this one.
    Can I splice into the wires just before the origional fan or do I have to wire it in from the start to power the second?

Originally posted by plodger
    Well my baby is going to Stevo on Saturday, so now is the time for tweaking and faffing around.
    Took out the remains of the air con out and want to fit two fans in front of the radiator. I can grasp the basic electronics but unsure of this one.
    Can I splice into the wires just before the origional fan or do I have to wire it in from the start to power the second?

as long as the fuses and cables are man enough you will be ok but i would wire a new one on in with its own relay/wiring and switch. Just a thought, you have 2 already don't you? do you really need 3? If you have ano verheating problem it would be wise to eliminate the cause.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Will be doing a lot of caravaning this year ( we took it out once and methinks that's what finally killed the surf ) and I've just seen on the aussie site a surf with two smaller fans just behind the grille and the one big one.
      With the load and unaerodynamics of a cav I'm just wary of the problem happening again what with the amount of money I'm spending and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
      Do you think I'm wasting my time or is it worth the effort?

Comment

Ive towed all 3 of my Caravans with mine no worries at all.
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Ive towed all 3 of my Caravans with mine no worries at all.
          All at once???
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Blimey! and they say the 2.4 is gutless!

Comment

Maybe I'll stick to just two fans!!

Do you recommend stopping every so often or will she handle it ?

I couldn't keep her over 50mph even on the motorway

Comment

Maybe I'll stick to just two fans!!

Do you recommend stopping every so often or will she handle it ?

I couldn't keep her over 50mph even on the motorway
                Make sure cooling system is in good order including temp guage. Back flush it if in doubt. As long as engine is running at normal temp there is no issue! If its getting hot theres something wrong that an extra leccy fan aint gunna fix.

Al.

Comment

I'm 'toying' with the idea of removing my viscous fan and fitting the two electric fans from my air con rad, to pull air through the radiator, switched to come on with the engine, and still have the standard electric fan on the front of the rad as 'back-up'.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                    Make sure cooling system is in good order including temp guage. Back flush it if in doubt. As long as engine is running at normal temp there is no issue! If its getting hot theres something wrong that an extra leccy fan aint gunna fix.

Al.

I take it back flushing is literally reversing the flow of the coolant in the system with a hosepipe to remove any crud?

Comment

if its getting hot it might be worth changing the transmission fluid
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I take it back flushing is literally reversing the flow of the coolant in the system with a hosepipe to remove any crud?

In a word "yes"

Remove the thermostat but put the housing back together and disconnect top hose from rad , Put hosepipe in to the hose and tape with duct tape to make a seal. turn tap on full, start engine and watch all the c r u d come out of the top of the rad.

Awesome.

Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                          if its getting hot it might be worth changing the transmission fluid

That's going to done when Steveo sorts my engine out. I'll see how it runs after.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                            In a word "yes"

Remove the thermostat but put the housing back together and disconnect top hose from rad , Put hosepipe in to the hose and tape with duct tape to make a seal. turn tap on full, start engine and watch all the c r u d come out of the top of the rad.

Awesome.

Al.

Have to try it with the engine running next time. When I changed the coolant last time I ran water through the system but only one way and the surf switched off. Was quite surprised to not seee anything come out considering the age.

Comment

Have to try it with the engine running next time. When I changed the coolant last time I ran water through the system but only one way and the surf switched off. Was quite surprised to not seee anything come out considering the age.
                              Very important the thremostat is out or you are only flushing the rad. With thermo out and engine running you whip up all the s h i t e in the block and rad/pipes. You could grout the bathroom with what comes out! (but don't do that)

Al.

Comment

Working...
                              X