Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I received as first email.

Originally posted by Fieldsy
    Interestingly enough, I just had this sent to me, with my ad being in a uk autotrader............me looks at it, me thinks its a scam, me no like.

MAIL NOTIFICATION.
    PURCHASE OF YOUR CAR 1996 TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-G,
    COST OF CAR:£8, 250
    MODEOF PAYMENT:BANKERS DRAFT/CASHIER CHEQUE
    FULL NAME:MR THOMAS JONE
    CONTACT ADDRESS:38 Jan Van Gogh Allee,
    Oslo,
    Norway.
    Please get back to me with pictures of interior and engine if your 1996 TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-G, , , , available for sale with the understated information so as to ensure a smooth transaction i await your response...................
    FULL NAME:
    CONTACT ADDRESS:
    MOBILE/PHONE NUMBER:
    PREFERRED MODE OF PAYMENT:Specify(CASHIER CHEQUE or bankers draft

what do ya think lads and lasses???

MAIL NOTIFICATION
    PURCHASE OF YOUR CAR 1993 TOYOTA SURF SSRX Monster Look,
    COST OF CAR £4, 200
    MODE OF PAYMENT:BANKER'S DRAFT/CASHIER CHEQUE
    FULL NAME: Mr JOHNSON JONES
    CONTACT ADDRESS:38 rui-neel kerrek Allee,
    MADRID SPAIN
    Please get back to me with pictures of interior,rear and engine if your car is still available for sale with the understated information so as to ensure a smooth transaction i await your response..i.e
    FULL NAME:
    CONTACT ADDRESS:
    MOBILE/PHONE NUMBER:
    PREFERRED MODE OF PAYMENT:SpecifY

Comment

I 100% aggree with you

Originally posted by mooter
      you need to understand the scam before you can see it.

ok, so his friend owes him £7K. your truck only costs £4K. why doesnt the friend just pay the £4K in then?

because he wants you to cash the dodgy cheque, withdraw £3K of it and then give it to him with your truck. so he gets a truck and £3K

2/3/4 weeks later the bank call to say there has been a mistake. the cheque hadn't cleared properly and you have to pay it back. you are down a truck and £3K, and that's if he hasn't bought lots of nice shiny things with your bank account details on top.

it's a classic scam.

I used the scam the scammers... haven't really got the time or the inclination any more but check this out - http://www.419eater.com/

that should tell you all you need to know

my advice : contact your bank immediately, inform them of the situation, get them to set you up a new account and transfer all funds/direct debits/standing orders over to the new account. if you dont and you try your luck you will only end up losing.

I am not touching that £7000. Its in my account. I know its not my money some day it will go back. But why I need to close the account. Will they withdraw more then £7000 from my account ????

Comment

just talk to your BANK !!!!!! and sort it out with them
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by mithujee
          ....... But why I need to close the account...........

You are dealing with thieves
          The thieves put the funds into your account
          They therefore know your account details
          Do you really think they will not try to use this to their benefit?
          They may well attempt to withdraw funds from it, even if they only managed to withdraw the 7000, and none of your money, you would end up liable to the bank for the 7k.
          They may use these details to prove their "bona fide" credentials to scam someone else, its called identity theft and is on the rise. In this case you may find other debts mounting against you which may be difficult or impossible to prove are not yours.

Close the account immediately.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

ask yourself 2 questions
            1. what will it cost me to act upon the advice given
            2. what could it cost me if I dont

answer to
            Q1. nothing other than a little time
            Q2. all the money in your a/c plus your overdraft clearence (most people have one, many have it and dont even know it!!)
            Your identity
            debts you can only have nightmares about
            your credit card a/c's up to and passed their limit
            your goods and chattles
            your home
            etc
            etc
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

when you trot into currys or LA supertrux and sign a credit agreement, all you give them is sort code, a/c number and name of bank.
              this chap in nigeria/oslo/madrid/ wherever now has that information. so when somebody turns up at your door asking for the 42 inch plasma telly back because the payments have stopped, you will know where to send them.. the bank should be able to advise you on the ins and outs of it. good luck!
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I am not touching that £7000. Its in my account. I know its not my money some day it will go back. But why I need to close the account. Will they withdraw more then £7000 from my account ????
                dont you see? if they withdraw 7K, which then turns out to be a dodgy cheque, you're the one £7K down when the bank ask for it back. they're not going to get it from these guys are they?!
                I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

IT IS A SCAM!!! We were very nearly sucked in last summer, it's even listed on Autotrader's website as possible car scams doing the rounds

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/sel...entre_fr-1.jsp
                  Debs

Comment

Hercule Poirots

Cool links sleuths !

Comment

Listen to what these people are saying ITS A SCAM if i was you i would get to you bank ask to see a manager if this bloke turns up dont give him the car and get the police involved if you have to or you are about to become 7k in debt and some scum bag scammer is going to laughing.

When i was selling my MR2 i had one of these scammers contact me via email and i wrote a very nice email back calling him a few choice names and the directing the email to 419 eaters.

Trust us mate you are about to get burnt if you are not very careful
                      They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

I cant believe this one is still going, I thought everyone knew about these scams......................

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Scams...an+letters.htm

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                          I cant believe this one is still going, I thought everyone knew about these scams......................

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Scams...an+letters.htm
                          They are still, and will always be, in this business because there is, and will always be, another sucker.

Nev

Comment

wait for another week and see what happens. if you send them £3000 they will cancel there cheque and you will be 3k out of pocket. western union money transfer ****ers. KEEP WELL AWAY

Comment

Listen m8 dont post on this subject again your making a fool of yourself anyone with an ounce of grey matter would shut that account asap.
                              Even if you were a bit slow to start with this thread has ran long enough.

Do you really belive we are all wrong and that these nice guys are giving you a real payment then kick on.

Or if you want I give you my paypal address send me 7K and I will sort it out
                              Brian

Comment

Listen mate as a favour I can sell you a bridge that goes up n down? £7k & I'll promise I will deliver and set it up, honest guv............
                                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                                X