Don't know if its scam or real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if its scam or real

Guys I need your opinion/feedback for a situation I am facing for last three weeks. Scenario is a Guy from nigeria showed interest in my SURF i advertised on autotrader. He offered me my asking price £4000. But he said his associate in UK owes him £7000. So if I permits he will transfer it to my account. once the amount been cleared his shipper will come for collection and I will pay him the remainder £3000 cash.

I got a transaction of £7000 in my account last week. and today is the 8th day. Money still shows in cleared funds.

Now I am bit confused, can I release my surf and pay his shipper £3000 cash. Or do I still need to wait for some time ?

Originally posted by mithujee
    Guys I need your opinion/feedback for a situation I am facing for last three weeks. Scenario is a Guy from nigeria showed interest in my SURF i advertised on autotrader. He offered me my asking price £4000. But he said his associate in UK owes him £7000. So if I permits he will transfer it to my account. once the amount been cleared his shipper will come for collection and I will pay him the remainder £3000 cash.

I got a transaction of £7000 in my account last week. and today is the 8th day. Money still shows in cleared funds.

Now I am bit confused, can I release my surf and pay his shipper £3000 cash. Or do I still need to wait for some time ?
    any of those Nigerian that get in contact then they are scammers sodont even bother to reply to them
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Pure and utter scam, a common enough rouse, been covered here before with regard to ebay purchases. It will appear to clear and you will receive the funds, however it will later be found as it passes thru the system to be a forged draft that was used, and you will be liable for the full 7,000 to the bank, plus your Surf will be gone!
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I would steer well clear sounds like the classic con
        give the info to the autotrader and your bank they will advise you as to where you stand if it is a con ( in deep doo doo I believe)
        there is online advice about this type of scam if you do a Google or similar search
        exercise extreme caution!

Comment

Do we know any time limit to verify/validate bank transaction ?

Originally posted by Morr
          Pure and utter scam, a common enough rouse, been covered here before with regard to ebay purchases. It will appear to clear and you will receive the funds, however it will later be found as it passes thru the system to be a forged draft that was used, and you will be liable for the full 7,000 to the bank, plus your Surf will be gone!
          So even after 8 days, bank still doesn't know that its not real transaction, and they saying its cleared, you can use it Why ?

Comment

If I were (and I know I am not) you, I would close my a/c take the money and open another a/c somewhere else ..if it is cleared funds and you have proof from the bank.................if as it probably will, turns out to be a moody, then the bank could be out of pocket but they have more resorces to recover it than you and they might be interested in identifing these scammers, as for a change it would be their pockets!!
            not 100% legal possibly! but worth checking
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
              If I were (and I know I am not) you, I would close my a/c take the money and open another a/c somewhere else ..if it is cleared funds and you have proof from the bank.................if as it probably will, turns out to be a moody, then the bank could be out of pocket but they have more resorces to recover it than you and they might be interested in identifing these scammers, as for a change it would be their pockets!!
              not 100% legal possibly! but worth checking
              Lets assume i follow this path, and after some time will get a letter from bank saying you owe us £7000, then...

Comment

Re

Please mate, do yourself a BIG favour and realise that you are about to become mixed up in yet another Nigerian fraud attempt.

Nigerians are the biggest fraudsters in the world and the world knows it.

The transfer will show as funds until such time as it clears, we know that it will NEVER clear so go explain this to the bank and DO NOT have anymore contact with the guy who tried to rip you off.

BTW in order that he transfer funds he needed your:-

Account Number
                Sort Code
                Full Name
                Address
                Etc.

If you have any money in the account please fully expect this to vanish very soon and be in Nigeria the same day.

NEARLY ALL OF THESE TRANSACTIONS ARE ONLY TO GET YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS!

Trust me!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
                  Please mate, do yourself a BIG favour and realise that you are about to become mixed up in yet another Nigerian fraud attempt.

Nigerians are the biggest fraudsters in the world and the world knows it.

The transfer will show as funds until such time as it clears, we know that it will NEVER clear so go explain this to the bank and DO NOT have anymore contact with the guy who tried to rip you off.

BTW in order that he transfer funds he needed your:-

Account Number
                  Sort Code
                  Full Name
                  Address
                  Etc.

If you have any money in the account please fully expect this to vanish very soon and be in Nigeria the same day.

NEARLY ALL OF THESE TRANSACTIONS ARE ONLY TO GET YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS!

Trust me!

Gary

Yes he got my bank details but not address. So are you recomending to close the account ?

Comment

When will everyone learn that Nigeria = Scam = Wa***rs
                    I have nearlly been caught a few times and now have to state when I am selling something- NO NIGERIAN FRAUDSTERS-
                    (allmost racist!!)

Continue with this transaction and expect to lose some big money

Comment

Yes he got my bank details but not address. So are you recomending to close the account ?

Phone your bank now!. Believe me money will vanish. Speak to your bank and they may be able to put some kind of international transfer block on it.

Andy

Comment

The only way these funds "could" be legit is if it was a Telegraphic Transfer from a UK clearing bank or an internationally recognised clearing bank. If it was by cheque, please note that the rule within the banking industry is that a cheque can NEVER be assumed to have been cleared. My wife has had this at the place she works where a cheque was bounced 4 weeks after it was assumed to have been cleared.

I would transfer all funds in your account to another account NOW, then hold the £7K until contacted by the bank as you could be charged with theft if the bank get a recall (as they will) for the funds currently in your account. Equally, if the funds do stay in your account and are legit, then if you didn't pass on the Surf and the £3K, you could again be charged with theft.

No problem with you scamming the fraudsters but don't leave yourself open to criminal charges or loss of the Surf / cash.
                        Mike G

Comment

I can't believe there is still anybody stupid enough to fall for these scammers !!

This has to be one of the most well known scams on the net .
                          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                            I can't believe there is still anybody stupid enough to fall for these scammers !!

This has to be one of the most well known scams on the net .
                            erm....ditto
                            has to be one of the oldest and well covered and warned about scams....

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                              erm....ditto
                              has to be one of the oldest and well covered and warned about scams....
                              Fortunately having reached the half Century without getting Scamed yet ...
                              Best Policy is TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING PERSONAL !!!!!!
                              Everybody's gotta go some to earn my respect... Before I trust em....
                              You all sound a great bunch & the Ladies too & I'm sure you all are, well your halfway there already via this Forum.
                              I look forward to one day meeting you all BUT I DONT KNOW ANY OF YOU !!!!
                              Cept for Tony/Linda, I can vouch for them & (vice versa) I hope !!!!!

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it comin !!!!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X