Running a fridge off of battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a fridge off of battery?

On my travels in the summer im planning to run a fridge ( powered through cigarrette lighter ) off of the batteries when only the is ignition on. Would it be possible to disconnect one battery and use the other to run the fridge through the truck, also once reconnected will the charged battery be man enough to start her up and keep her going?

Anyone else got a good idea how to keep a fridge cool when camping?
    Kite Surf

As long as you're confident both batt's are in good nick, shouldn't be a problem IMO. Be worth looking at the current rating of the fridge and the AHC of the battery you want to use, you should be able to work out roughly how long your fridge will run for, temperature dependant of course. I take it you'll be running another 12V socket directly off the 2nd battery?

How about installing a leisure battery with a solar panel ? Costly to start with but if you're keeping your truck and will be using it alot, might be worth considering?

Comment

I bought one of these for camping power, you can run a fridge for 24 hours on one charge, then recharge when driving truck or from a mains socket.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=aldi+bargains

Comment

Before we left for Africa I took the truck into Wolston 4x4 near Coventry and they changed the batteries from being in parrallel and put a split charge system in instead, thus separating the two batteries. I then hard wired some extra sockets through to the "auxillary" battery, via a couple of inline fuses.

I't's not pretty but it works for me, although I have had to change the split charge diode for a mechanical switch, and I currently run two 12v sockets (GPS & fridge) plus my spotlights from it. I'll pick up some more wire and another socket as I plan to put a third socket near the back door for use with a 12v electric drill and compressor.

This means I can run all my electrics without fear of flattening the starter battery - having the GPS and fridge permanently connected are ****** near essential - esp. if you hate warm beer!

If you get one of the cheaper fridges, without a compressor, then extra insulation will really help: make a polystyrene lined wooden box, with a lid, for it to fit into. THat was one of my earlier plans, but I ended up buying a 39L Engel instead and that is a beast of a fridge/freezer.
        @africa4x4cafe
        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I bought one of these for camping power, you can run a fridge for 24 hours on one charge, then recharge when driving truck or from a mains socket.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=aldi+bargains
          How long does it take to charge from the truck from empty?
          Kite Surf

Comment

No idea mate haven't tried that yet, but there is a charge indicator light on the unit.

Comment

Working...
            X