2.4 or 3ltr....discuss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3ltr....discuss...

People.....another post...do say if i get tiresome!

I'n new to all this...and i'm getting the impression that i should get a 3 ltr over a 2.4 ltr...purely because of head problems on the 2.4.

Does anyone agree with this?

I'd be willing to spend more initally to avoid costs of head rebuild..or new engine etc!.....That would totally kill me finacially.

in your hands once again...

Thanks in advance...this site is invaluable!

NSB
    newsurfboy
    "never get out of the boat"

3 litre, add reason of more power without penalty of higher gas mileage

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by newsurfboy

I'n new to all this...and i'm getting the impression that i should get a 3 ltr over a 2.4 ltr...purely because of head problems on the 2.4.

I'd be willing to spend more initally to avoid costs of head rebuild..or new engine etc!.....That would totally kill me finacially.

NSB
      You are asking questions before you buy thats the clever thing to do.....
      I just saw my big red garden ornament and bought it.......
      I've never driven a 2.4 but when somebody like Dr anglegrinder recommends buying the 3.0 because it has more grunt I would listen.
      only about 20% of the 2.4 heads go and thats the ones you hear about in the forum.
      Take your time so you get the truck that you want....and keep some cash back for cheek massage (they get sore from )

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
        You are asking questions before you buy thats the clever thing to do.....
        I just saw my big red garden ornament and bought it.......
        I've never driven a 2.4 but when somebody like Dr anglegrinder recommends buying the 3.0 because it has more grunt I would listen.
        only about 20% of the 2.4 heads go and thats the ones you hear about in the forum.
        Take your time so you get the truck that you want....and keep some cash back for cheek massage (they get sore from )

DONT LISTEN! the 2.4 is easily the best! will pull trees out of the ground with its huge power reserve. 3 litres are rubbish!!!

Oh, I can't lie. if you can get a 3 litre do so, and thats coming from a 2.4 owner. Nothing wrong with a 2.4 and the heads don't go for the sake of it, only if engine overheats.

Whatever you get, you will love it.

Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Hello,

Get the 3.0 litre - I didn't, I tow horses around all year, and I really regret not going for the bigger engine - it has loads more torque. Also, my cylinder head went.

If you're budget is tight, why not consider buying one off the docks - Liverpool and Tilbury import them. Probably the biggest is Southampton. a1carauctions.co.uk for info.

You could get a surf for about £3000, forecourt price would be nearer £5500 - £6000.

I'm about to buy a Mazda Bongo to go with the truck and I'm doing the auction route. Chose carefully and you're not really risking much more than the limited warranty a garage would give you.

Regards
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

All depends on what you doing.
            If your towing, doing long journeys lots and lots then go for the 3.0
            If you tow once a year the very odd long journey (100+ miles) then the 2.4 will be fine. Bit like having a ferrari and never leaving your town roads.
            Horses for courses, those that have a 2.4 and want a 3.0 mainly do a lot of miles or tow a lot.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

I have a 2.4, and I really wish I had gone for the 3.0 although the 2.4 has run like a swiss watch for 2 years and 45,000 miles since I got it and does everything I want, and tows big trailers and gets about heavily laden on long journeys. The thing is that 3.0 is bigger than 2.4. And I'm a big kid so bigger is better and thats that.

So if you are a big kid like me I say - buy the 3.0. And then put propane and water injection on it till it goes like a well greased turd of a freshly shined shovel.

You'll be needing big spotlights and stuff too. Compulsary that is.

I thought of putting a smiley, but I'm not joking.

Comment

no discussion
                get the 3.0l
                cos it just is OK?
                (the mutts nutts that is)
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by newsurfboy

NSB
                  Hope I'm not speakin outta turn & in jest, Iv'e had my Truck since 2001, it's a 1990 2.4TD with 80,000ish & had only minor faults so far.
                  Am I just a lucky *od or Have I got one thats not at fault !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                  X