Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump? loosing water

Greetings again.

Checked water level again today for 3rd time. Loosing a little when engine running. Noticed drips coming off the protective plate underneath but can't really tell exactly where it's starting from. Seems quite low down.
    Took it and got a pressure test done and everythin ok on cooling system. Held pressure no problem.Was told it could possibly be the water pump.

Dreading the news it may have been the cylinder head but it's running well,not overheated and no white smoke,no gunk on the oil cap either.

Hope it's the pump
    Where's the best place to get one??

Cheers.
    Last edited by smiffy; 4 February 2006, 18:56.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Originally posted by smithsurf
    Greetings again.

Checked water level again today for 3rd time. Loosing a little when engine running. Noticed drips coming off the protective plate underneath but can't really tell exactly where it's starting from. Seems quite low down.
    Took it and got a pressure test done and everythin ok on cooling system. Held pressure no problem.Was told it could possibly be the water pump.

Dreading the news it may have been the cylinder head but it's running well,not overheated and no white smoke,no gunk on the oil cap either.

Hope it's the pump
    Where's the best place to get one??

Cheers.
    My pump went 2 weeks ago easy to spot as it was chucking it out from under the crank pully,have a closer look around the timeing belt cover to see if there,s been any seepage,after i took mine off i could see it was loosing a for some time until it just went.

Comment

Pumps come from Roughtrax or Milners next day, fitting them takes a little longer

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Pumps come from Roughtrax or Milners next day, fitting them takes a little longer

Is it a big job to change the pump??? is there any information regarding it available??
        It's only a few drips just now but want to sort it before it gets any worse.

Cheers

Comment

Its not the end of the world, but lots to take off, you need to go as far as if changing the cam belt, to get to the water pump bolts.

You need to remove all the belts, fan and pullys, hoses that cross the front of the engine, and the aircon pump bracket to be able to get the cam belt cover off. The crank pully is normally the most difficult if its tight and you don't have a puller, try to avoid a 3 leg puller unless your desperate, as this can ruin the harmonic balencer which is the main crank pulley.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Its not the end of the world, but lots to take off, you need to go as far as if changing the cam belt, to get to the water pump bolts.

You need to remove all the belts, fan and pullys, hoses that cross the front of the engine, and the aircon pump bracket to be able to get the cam belt cover off. The crank pully is normally the most difficult if its tight and you don't have a puller, try to avoid a 3 leg puller unless your desperate, as this can ruin the harmonic balencer which is the main crank pulley.

Sounds a lot of stuff to do thank god i'm not doing it myself

Should i just order a cam belt and get that done at the same time?? anything else while the front's opened up???

so far. a new pump,all filters,cam belt?? anything else???

Cheers

Comment

depends on when it was done but not a bad idea to change it. I would change all the belts too.
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
                so far. a new pump,all filters,cam belt?? anything else???
                Cheers
                If doing the timing belt then it's a good idea to do the tensioner and idler sprocket as well. Old bearings can seize sometimes and this will break belt and cause major damage. Crank and cam seal as well.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                X