X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Suspension Lift

I've just seen this auction on ebay

Auction

Has anyone done a rear only lift on their Surf? Is it any easier to do the rear only, or is it just as easy to lift the whole thing?

I'd like to do a rear lift, as I've always thought the Surf looks like its carrying a grand piano in the boot !

If anyone has done a rear suspension lift or heard of anyone doing it, could you let me know how easy and safe it is?

Thanks
    Just Vegging Out

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=218712
    Thats a search for "lift"
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/spacers.htm
    Codlords site to give you an idea what is involved.

Lol just had a look at the auction......thats dog book he is a member on here and gives all the info needed in the text......
    Last edited by DaveD; 1 February 2006, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD

Lol just had a look at the auction......thats dog book he is a member on here and gives all the info needed in the text......
      Cool, he could help fit them
      [IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/DONKR1/me.jpg[/IMG]
      [url]www.qube-art.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by dleach2103
        I've just seen this auction on ebay

Auction

Has anyone done a rear only lift on their Surf? Is it any easier to do the rear only, or is it just as easy to lift the whole thing?

I'd like to do a rear lift, as I've always thought the Surf looks like its carrying a grand piano in the boot !

If anyone has done a rear suspension lift or heard of anyone doing it, could you let me know how easy and safe it is?

Thanks

If you truck looks like its carrying a grand piano it probably only needs a new set of standard springs. This will get rid of the "saggy Ar$e" effect. These can be bought from Milners or Roughtrax and are quite cheap. the milners "20% stronger" ones are only about £40

Joe
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Here's a bit of a photo diary...........
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Here's a bit of a photo diary...........
            Has the "after" shot been raised or is it just the new springs? Looks great
            Al
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Heres mine after a 2"lift front and rear.
              i used the uprated standard height springs + 2" spacers from 4crawler USA, and jacked up the front torsion bars.
              I modified my existing panard rod with 24mm stainless threaded bar to make an infinitely adjustable rod without having to fit drop brackets.
              I measured the pitch of the bracket mounts then cut bar in half. i threaded each end of the rod internally for 8" with a 24mm tap. I then joined the two halfs with 24mm stud and locknuts. took a bit of effort but I have now accuratley realigned my rear axle centrally under rear of car.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jaky cakes; 1 February 2006, 19:18.
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                Has the "after" shot been raised or is it just the new springs? Looks great
                Al
                Raised about three inches, with Landcruiser springs and Procomp ES3000 shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                  Heres mine after a 2"lift front and rear.
                  i used the uprated standard height springs + 2" spacers from 4crawler USA, and jacked up the front torsion bars.
                  I modified my existing panard rod with 24mm stainless threaded bar to make an infinitely adjustable rod without having to fit drop brackets.
                  I measured the pitch of the bracket mounts then cut bar in half. i threaded each end of the rod internally for 8" with a 24mm tap. I then joined the two halfs with 24mm stud and locknuts. took a bit of effort but I have now accuratley realigned my rear axle centrally under rear of car.
                  So, am I right in assuming that the panhard rod is solid? (I guess it must be! )

How thick is it? 30mm or so? I'd be interested to see some pics, if you have them??

My offside wheel is JUST legal, but it could still do with being centralised, really.
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

It's hollow Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      It's hollow Dave.
                      So, it's ready to tap to 24 mm?

Hmmm, Sounds like a plan!!!
                      It just does, OK?

Comment

Luckily my rod LOL was an adjustable one so hasnt proved a problem....i still put a drop bracket in though.....The Landcruiser spec height coils lift the rear exactly 3" in height compared to the Milner coils....i know......
                        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                          So, it's ready to tap to 24 mm?

Hmmm, Sounds like a plan!!!
                          Yes the rod is hollow and ready to take 24mm tap. I tapped mine a good 8" deep each end, and inserted about 7" of stud into each.
                          I cut my panard rod about 10" in from drivers side end so adjuster didn't foul diff casing, and also cut out and discarded about 2" of the rod to make space for two M24 nuts.
                          in the picture the left lock nut has been welded to the original rod and then the stud welded to the nut. this makes one end solid. to adjust length I slacken right hand side lock nut, unscrew end of rod to achieve desired length then tighten lock nut in place.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jaky cakes; 2 February 2006, 21:06.
                          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                          X