Vege Oil Gelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vege Oil Gelling

Can anyone tell me how I would start my truck if the Vege / Diesel mix was to gel in the cold weather.

Thankfully it hasn't happened yet, but as I get more confident with my mixing percentages, I want to be sure I can get the truck running if it does gel up.

I started using about 10% vege and have moved up to 50% last fill up. It is lumpy for a few seconds in the morning, but once the Fast Idle kicks in, it runs smooth.

I just wondered how I would get it going if I did over do it with the mix?

Hopefully never happen, but would be good to know just in case.
    Just Vegging Out

That would depend on just how cold it is and how throughly the fuel has gelled.

Initially the fuel in your lines and pump would gel. More extreme cold could cause the fuel in the tank to gel, in which case there is no quick way to heat it enough to reverse the gelling.

If you suspect the fuel in the lines has gelled, get a kettle of hot water and pour it slowly over your injector lines, fuel pump and any other fuel lines accessible within the engine bay (or use a hair dryer - do not use a heat gun). Then cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 times, this should enable it to start. Let it idle for at least 5 to 10 minutes after this to ensure all is well, as if the fuel in the tank had gelled this method will probably still allow it to start, but it could later die when it cannot draw the gelled fuel from the tank. Leaving it idle for a while to begin to use the fuel in the tank (and recirculate hot fuel back to the tank) will help ensure it does not die whilst on your journey.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by dleach2103
      Can anyone tell me how I would start my truck if the Vege / Diesel mix was to gel in the cold weather.

Thankfully it hasn't happened yet, but as I get more confident with my mixing percentages, I want to be sure I can get the truck running if it does gel up.

I started using about 10% vege and have moved up to 50% last fill up. It is lumpy for a few seconds in the morning, but once the Fast Idle kicks in, it runs smooth.

I just wondered how I would get it going if I did over do it with the mix?

Hopefully never happen, but would be good to know just in case.

err. dunno m8

Light a fire under the tank the way wagon drivers did in the old days? or just stick to a safe mix in winter. Some folks put a bit of unleaded in the tank I believe. I don't use veg oil at all now, I experimented with a tankfull of 50/50 but after the stink have not bothered since.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

i went to put some veg in a jerry can today to fill up and it has turned into wallpaper paste near enough!
        didnt realise how much it does gel up in the cold as it sits up the garage.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
        X