M.o.t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.o.t

Has anyone had an mot under the new system?
    I had a test yesterday and the test centre and they said hilux surf is not on the computer,so it has been tested as a 4 runner.
    Is this OK ?
    Has this happend to anyone else ?
    The break test was done with a small meter and not on the rolling road also because 'computer says' 4 wheel drive do not run on the rolling road.
    Coments please.

The Surf is two wheel drive so the rolling road issue is irrelevent. An m.o.t. is a vehicle roadworthy test so it shouldn't matter what the vehicle is, as long as it's safe to use on a public highway.

Comment

Same problem here......couldnt understand the 4x4 brake thing though....he couldnt either.....
      3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
        .........because 'computer says' 4 wheel drive do not run on the rolling road.....
        Normally Rolling roads support only 2 wheels so they cannot test 4wd vehicles, or more correctly, vehicles operating in 4wd. This means they cannot be used for permanent 4wd vehicles such as Range Rovers, Lada Niva's, Some Impretza's etc etc.

Your Surf would have been fine operating in normal 2wd mode on the rolling road.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

only trouble may be if you want to get a tax disk on-line...

logbook says different to the car... or if you get a tax disk with 4-runner on it??

Post office might question the difference too?
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
            Has anyone had an mot under the new system?
            I had a test yesterday and the test centre and they said hilux surf is not on the computer,so it has been tested as a 4 runner.
            Is this OK ?
            Has this happend to anyone else ?
            The break test was done with a small meter and not on the rolling road also because 'computer says' 4 wheel drive do not run on the rolling road.
            Coments please.
            Got mine MOT,D in December and its on the new system and its on the Certificate as Hi-Lux Surf, maybe its your testing staions listing?
            [U]SORRY OFFICER...I HAVE BEEN IN ALL EVENING...[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by TRUCKMAN
              Got mine MOT,D in December and its on the new system and its on the Certificate as Hi-Lux Surf, maybe its your testing staions listing?

Mine too.

Had my MOT done last week. No problems using the rolling road. And he found the exact match for the truck.

Tester checked the emissions 3 TIMES because they were so low !!!

Good old Veg !!!
              Just Vegging Out

Comment

I've had a few vehicles tested under the new system.

My Land Rover Defender is permanent 4WD. You CAN NOT test these vehicles on a single roller brake testing machine, as it will damage your transmission. You have to tell the tester that the vehicle can't be tested in this way. If they know their stuff then you haven't got any problems. They use a little swing meter to test the brake force, or sometimes depending where you take it, they will take it out for a short test drive. This system is better depending on your point of view, as the rolling road also tests brake balance between the near and offside brakes. If there is an imbalance between the two of so much % then it will fail the MOT. Obviously a swing meter will not show this up. You will know if your vehicle has an imbalance, as it will pull to one side during braking (if it's severe enough).

The vehicle list on the computer can cause problems. If the Surf is not listed, but the 4 Runner is, and the vehicle is tested under the 4 runner information, this could be detrimental. Some countries have different equipment fitted to an engine for emissions purposes. The 4 Runner may have a lower emission standard than the Surf (for example) then when it comes to test your vehicle, it has to meet a standard that it might not have had to meet if it was being tested under it's proper model designation.

On the question of tax. I taxed mine last week. All she put on the disc was TOYOTA. So no problems there.

In anycase, I have found that the operator can override the computer and manually enter information into it.

I have just looked at my Registration Document (which is a good idea to take with you to an MOT, as this is definitive information the tester will need) and my vehicle is registered as a TOYOTA. Under the model type, it is left blank. Under the body type it is registered as a LIGHT 4X4 UTILITY. As the engine is a 1KZ diesel engine, then in the absence of any information for the Surf, I would get the tester to test it to a UK vehicle which uses the same engine for emission purposes.

I'm lucky, as where I take mine the guy know's the score. My Defender is a Military Truck Utility Medium. The body type is not on his computer list, so he will test it as a normal Defender 110 2.5 NA Diesel.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by M35A2; 26 January 2006, 13:04.

Comment

My log book says ..................... body type: estate.
                  No metion of 4x4 anywhere.

Comment

Mine has the new M.O.T system cert and is fine..
                    SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Working...
                    X