Stone Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Chips

I've noticed a few stone chips on my truck. Some were already there when I bought it, but I have noticed a few that seem to be fresh. They are only small, but they have gone right back to the primer. There are 2 that are on the TOP of the offside wing, can't see these being stone chips as they are not on the leading edge????

When I bought mine, the dealer had a green Surf that had very bad paint fade on the roof, from what I presume was the result of leaving it out in the hot sun all the time.

So my question is, has anyone else noticed this happening to their Surf?

I have heard that Toyota's aren't too good when it comes to paint jobs?

Has anyone else experienced their paint chipping easily?

Also, have Toyota got a current vehicle with the same colour (or as near to it as possible) as my Surf, so I can buy some of those paint stick repair kit things??

Andy.

PS. She is very shiney, just blo**y anoying getting these tiny chips. It also seems to have a couple of blemishes in a few spots.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M35A2; 24 January 2006, 20:04.

yes, the paint on my surf has taken a hammering too.

canoe on the roof rack wasnt quite perfect and on the motorway touched the roof ever so slightly and vibrated a patch of paint off and then i dropped the canoe another day ( it was slippery and wet) and made some nice score lines down the side.

its already got plenty of branch marks down the sides as well from off roading or going down tight overgrown lanes...

i think it adds to the character.
    she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
      yes, the paint on my surf has taken a hammering too.

canoe on the roof rack wasnt quite perfect and on the motorway touched the roof ever so slightly and vibrated a patch of paint off and then i dropped the canoe another day ( it was slippery and wet) and made some nice score lines down the side.

its already got plenty of branch marks down the sides as well from off roading or going down tight overgrown lanes...

i think it adds to the character.

I'm in the shiney brigade, and I'm loosing sleep over these stone chips. It's a case of when you know they are there, the whole Surf world seems to be checking your stone chips out, even though they probably wouldn't notice them.

Comment

im with the drive it and use it brigade. I have motorbikes to polish, fettle and stand back and admire. sod the car.. it takes too long!
        she's no angel

Comment

Hey Jayne,

Didn't realise you were Surfer chick!!

You seem to have your finger right on the pulse. I'm thinking of getting a Kayak.

Check it out!!

PS Here is me doing a bit of relaxation!!

Andy
          Attached Files

Comment

Splash some mud on it!

I've seen older grey trucks, 89's etc, have a the laquer start to peel off in places, normally on the bonnet and my old one was starting to go around the rear side windows. I think its just age vs UV light. And the Sun usually wins!!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

andy, arent you a bit far inland for a sea canoe? get yerself a canadian and learn the theme to hawaii 5-0!
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

thats a touring kayak, can go river or sea with that baby... take food and luggage along... good straight tracking, nice and easy to paddle. bit slow to turn though but not really an issue unless you want to go on white water.

mines a sit-on-top, which i use on rivers and the sea. its definitely a wet ride so in this weather im a bit nesh and avoid going out. I wouldnt mind a tourer like that as well as changing my sit on top to the hawaii-5-o surfer.

jumping out of planes is something ive never managed to bring myself to do, im sure i would love it, but ive enjoyed doing aerobatics in small planes so much I think I'd rather stay on board and pull some G's that way.

ANyway... stone chips... how about one of those leather nose covers like the americans seem to have a lot of on their cars? whats the point in that? Ive never understood dressing the car up in leather... seems a bit pervy to me
                she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                  andy, arent you a bit far inland for a sea canoe? get yerself a canadian and learn the theme to hawaii 5-0!
                  Phst! I'm a surfer (a wave riding surfer, as well as the vehiclular sort) and I live just down the road from Andy. Can't ride a surfboard on a river neither (no one say 'Servern Bore'...)

If you wanna get rid of your stone chips properly you could bring your truck in for a quote. We could probably even send you home with some paint in a jar for further touch ups. We're just 'round the corner from Inchcape Toyota on Langford Lane in Kidlington (AJL Body Reapirs Ltd).

As for current Toyota paint stock for that colour, I'd doubt you could stroll into Halfords and pick one up. If you try and find the colour name and code (if possible, not sure how Jap models work like that) I can look it up for you.

Never had any 'Toyota specific' paint chipping problems. If anything it's probably that more Surfs are older models, and no paintjob will last forever. We have a lot of brights, like yellows and vivid reds that are faded or discoloured on 'older' (around 5 years +) cars. A hard life will make laquer crack and start to peel too, as well as too much UV as previously mentioned. Other problems can be caused by cheap or poorly primed panels (often aftermarket replacements) that start to rust or errode and cause fault in the paintwork.

Hope this helps.

Kev
                  _______
                  /_/ _ | 0\__
                  \,...__,..._ /
                  _(o)__(o)_

Comment

The paint/laquer has faded badly on the roof of mine, so I lifted the suspension and now no-one can see it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      The paint/laquer has faded badly on the roof of mine, so I lifted the suspension and now no-one can see it.
                      Go for the easy fix......

Comment

As far as the Kayak goes, it's a P&H Capella RM 160. It's a pure bred sea Kayak, but can be used on larger rivers and lakes. The Thames is just down the road from me, and is pretty wide, so that's one base covered. Then you have the day off trip down to Bournemouth or Weymouth for some fantastic sea kayaking. I did a lot in the Army down at Portland, when the Royal Engineer base was open. Very hard going when the tide was coming in and out at shingle beach. But as we had assault boats out on the water it didn't matter, as when you got tired you just got a tow back!! I bet it's a housing estate now?

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
                          Phst! I'm a surfer (a wave riding surfer, as well as the vehiclular sort) and I live just down the road from Andy. Can't ride a surfboard on a river neither (no one say 'Servern Bore'...)

If you wanna get rid of your stone chips properly you could bring your truck in for a quote. We could probably even send you home with some paint in a jar for further touch ups. We're just 'round the corner from Inchcape Toyota on Langford Lane in Kidlington (AJL Body Reapirs Ltd).

As for current Toyota paint stock for that colour, I'd doubt you could stroll into Halfords and pick one up. If you try and find the colour name and code (if possible, not sure how Jap models work like that) I can look it up for you.

Never had any 'Toyota specific' paint chipping problems. If anything it's probably that more Surfs are older models, and no paintjob will last forever. We have a lot of brights, like yellows and vivid reds that are faded or discoloured on 'older' (around 5 years +) cars. A hard life will make laquer crack and start to peel too, as well as too much UV as previously mentioned. Other problems can be caused by cheap or poorly primed panels (often aftermarket replacements) that start to rust or errode and cause fault in the paintwork.

Hope this helps.

Kev

I take it you work at this place then Kev? I can ask Steve at Toyota to find out what the paint code is. I asked him about this before, but he said I would have to get some made up. I don't want half a gallon of the stuff, just enough to do the stone chips, and of course the laquer top coat.

Thanks for your offer Kev. I will find out what the code is, and see how much it would cost. Apart from a few stone chips the paintwork is in a fantastic condition for it's age. There is always the possibility that it has had a re-spray, and it wasn't done that well. I've had a good look, but can't really tell.

Next time I'm up there I will try to remember to pop in and see you. Then I can say I've met someone from the forum!!

Cheers Dude!!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                            As far as the Kayak goes, it's a P&H Capella RM 160. It's a pure bred sea Kayak, but can be used on larger rivers and lakes. The Thames is just down the road from me, and is pretty wide, so that's one base covered. Then you have the day off trip down to Bournemouth or Weymouth for some fantastic sea kayaking. I did a lot in the Army down at Portland, when the Royal Engineer base was open. Very hard going when the tide was coming in and out at shingle beach. But as we had assault boats out on the water it didn't matter, as when you got tired you just got a tow back!! I bet it's a housing estate now?

ah what do i know! its my boyfriend who teaches kayak not me...although he does try to teach me as well. i just teach pushbikes at velodromes and local schools. we both play in the surf... thats the water not the car... although it has been known... the surf is plenty big enough with the seats down

she's no angel

Comment

i was bluffing, i cant even swim..! but i have been out in a canadian a few times, gives it an extra edge - if you fall out, you die!
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X