Linux, now made easy for the newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux, now made easy for the newbies

Are you fed up with getting viruses/spyware, continually scanning/defragmenting your computer, trying to keep it clean and fast.
    Or maybe you have wanted to try Linux, or have tried Linux and got confused with endless command prompts and no hardware working.

Then look no further than

I have tried different flavours of linux over the years and have always given up because of frustration as it was just so user unfriendly for beginers, and a lot of time had to be put in to get the most simple of things to work.

Thankfully those days are now over, thanks to PClinuxOS and Tex, the creator.

It comes as a live cd that can be run from memory, without having to install anything on your computer.
    If you try and like, then you can easily install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive, insructions on how to do this can be found with one click on the live cd`s desktop installation icon.

Getting connected to the internet was a breeze, that allowed me to access the forums http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...=Splatt_Forums where any problems i may encounter, or advice that was needed, were quickly and politely dealt with, no matter how small or stupid the question was, i was not made to feel like i was a beginner, only like someone who was keen to learn (which i am)

After a few days i realised that i had not had to boot up MS Windows once, so i thought i may as well bite the bullet and install onto my hard drive.
    This did make me nervous, but i need not have worried as it was a breeze, documentation was available via the live cd to help make sure step by step instructions were available beforehand.
    Perfect

I was amazed by the number of programs avilable, not only that come ready installed, but also that were available to install from the repositary in the synaptic software manager.
    This also updates every 48 hours, to help keep you up to date with all of the program and security updates, and install any new programs that you may need or want to try.
    My printer and scanner were also installed very easily in PCLos control centre.

5 months later and i have still yet to boot up windows, and, up to now, i dont think i will ever need to again as PCLinux would appear to fulfill all of my needs.

So, if you are thinking about taking your first steps into Linux, or maybe looking for another distro then, for ease of use and friendly support, i would have no hesitation in recommending PCLinuxOS.

Try it, you wont be disappointed.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/index.html

PCLinuxOS is one of the world’s up and coming providers of a Linux Desktop Solution. With a small but dedicated development team, PClinuxOS delivers Desktop Ready Software that harnesses the power of the Open Source Community. PCLinuxOS Preview .91 is an English only self-booting live cd that runs entirely from a bootable CD without installing anything on your computer. Data on the CD is uncompressed on the fly allowing up to 2 GB of programs on one CD including a complete Xserver, KDE 3.4.1 Desktop, Open Office 1.1.4, Thunderbird 1.0.2, Firefox 1.0.4, p2p filesharing and much more, all preconfigured and ready to use! In addition to the livecd mode, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive using our easy to use livecd installer, assuming you like PCLinuxOS and it runs well on your computer. PCLinuxOS is currently under heavy development and should be considered beta software. PCLinuxOS should work on most modern hardware and comes with advanced hardware detection. PCLinuxOS runs best on computers with at least 256 megabytes of memory.

Good to see more people are seeing sense and ditching Windoze.

If anyone fancies replacing more than just their OS, I recommend the new Intel Macs. Great design, loads of features and quicker than a V6 Surf on nitros!

_______
    /_/ _ | 0\__
    \,...__,..._ /
    _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Link, dos, mac who,Whats all that about

Those last two posts might as well as been written in some ancient viking dialect for what sense it made to me.
      Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
        Link, dos, mac who,Whats all that about

Those last two posts might as well as been written in some ancient viking dialect for what sense it made to me.
        Linux is just another operating system to use instead of, or alonside windows as a dual booting system.

The big bonus with Linux, is that there are many distros out there that are entirely free to download and use, and keep up to date such as PCLinuxOS.
        The other big bonus with Linux is that you dont have to worry about trojans, viruses, spyware.

There is also a huge amount of software that can be installed, also for free, that allows you to do pretty much everything that you can do with windows.

There are quite a lot of exciting things happening at the moment with PCLinux.

And the best thing about the live cd is that you can boot it up just by inserting the live cd, and restarting your computer.
        That way, you can see if it will run nicely with your hardware before you actually install it onto your hard drive.

Comment

Link, Dos and Mac were on a train... No wait that's a different story...

I'm sure it'll make sense to some tech-heads amongst us.
          _______
          /_/ _ | 0\__
          \,...__,..._ /
          _(o)__(o)_

Comment

gulp...

Comment

can my truck run on linux thingy
              HUFC
              HEREFORD IS IN ENGLAND.

Comment

Whilst Linux is maintained by the Open Source Community it still has a lot of areas that have been found to be open for abuse...admittedly no where near as much as Microsofts products.

SuSe , Redhat et al are still being dragged through the court regarding the use of the Kernel and control software and you should get an agreement from the softare vendor to stipulate that they will cover any liability from the court case [taken out by SCO]. Novell who 'sold' part of the software on have stated that they only leased out the code and did not sell it on to SCO Unix so in the long run people should be covered.

Unfortunately, the TCO has not been proved and whilst running Apache on Web Servers etc has been a mainstay the business world will always prompt for MS Products until other companies can prove their staying power and user friendliness on all formats [Thin clients, Desktop PCs and Servers]

Novell could have wiped the marketplace using their Novell Directory System but Microsoft have created their own 'b_a_s_tardised' system and renamed it Active Directory

I prefer Suns StarOffice [Like MS Office but cut down and once again Open Source] to Microsofts recent editions [I have purchased licenses for MS's new Office Suite but still install older Office 97 versions using the new licenses]

The MAC [Macintosh] once again is more stable machine due to only having to support hardware designed for the MAC, whereas MS has to support generic devices and drivers from other vendors. This and the software available for the MAC at its inception has made it a main machine for the Desktop Publishing World.
                Last edited by Gizmo; 22 January 2006, 19:23.
                Gaz

Comment

Well described, though with the popularity of the Mac platform, more and more third party devices and software is being supported.

If anyone needs help or advice with Apple computers, I used to work as an Apple Technician, so feel free to ask. Don't know much about PCs though, except they're grey and are good for accountants...
                  _______
                  /_/ _ | 0\__
                  \,...__,..._ /
                  _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Working...
                  X