Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust!!!!

Hi All,

Having ordered a new rear chrome end cap because my passenger side one was badly rusted, TO MY HORROR I saw that the drivers side was rusting badly as well!

Although "pristine" on the exterior it is badly rusted on the inside, MY QUESTION is this!

How can I stop the rust and/or reverse the problem?

It can be SAVED, provided the rust stops NOW!

Is there a chemical or product that I can "lash" on to stop this rust in it's tracks?

I heard that "Hammerite" turns rust into metal again is this true or the usual hype?

Not wanting to spend another £100 on another chrome end cap, can this be done?

Perhaps there is something that I can do all the chrome with as a barrier/rust eater?

I done the underside with Waxoyl during the summer but neglected the bumpers, doh! (kicks self up the arse!)

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Gary

waxoyl them too or paint them with Hammerite - its good stuff, like painting with treacle
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Re

Would I have to rub down or wire brush the rust off first?

Which of the 2 are the best, Waxoyl or Hammerite?

Thanks for the help!

Gary

Comment

Depends on how bad the rust is really, If it is just starting to show, you can polish it off with t-cut followed by a chrome polish like Autosol. I recently done '30Surfers' rear bumper and although not perfect, it polished up o.k.
        Also what you can do is get some wire wool and rub the surface rust off from the rear of the bumpers and paint with hammerite as tim says.

Comment

Re

Hi Mate,

The outside is clean as a whistle but the inside is rusting badly!

I want to stop the rust before it penetrates through to the chrome on the exterior!

Thanks!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
            Hi All,

[Rusty bits removed by Snippomatic TM]

Is there a chemical or product that I can "lash" on to stop this rust in it's tracks?
            Yes: Titanseal S1000 primer/rust converter.
            Get it from
            Gennor Ltd
            15 Nineveh Shipyard
            Arundel
            West Sussex
            BN18 9SU
            United Kingdom
            (don't have their phone number to hand)

I heard that "Hammerite" turns rust into metal again is this true or the usual hype?
            Sorry, that is bull$h1t.
            Rust converters don't work that way, and Hammerite is only a paint, not a converter - it just sticks well to rusty metal and prevents oxygen access to the surface, thus slowing down corrosion for as long as the coating remains unbroken.
            So, on a Surf used off-road, about 10 minutes, then...

The S1000 primer looks like milk - same colour and viscosity. Wire brush off the surfaces, then paint it on to the rusty metal (just slap it on). Wait an hour or two. The rust will turn to a hard, dark blue coating, which is a stable oxide layer (magnetite). (This IS how a rust converter works) This can then be overpainted with the paint of your choice.
            If you use a two-pack epoxy/acrylic paint (try Gennor again), then your bumpers should outlast the rest of the truck, because this stuff is damn' near bulletproof, and is waterproof enough to line water tanks and patch boat hulls.
            I used some of this stuff on a pair of alloy bike panniers - crashing the bike and sliding the panniers up the road did not dislodge the coating...

No connection with the above company, but I have used their products in the course of my work.

HTH
            Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
            X