Service....have I been stitched?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service....have I been stitched?!

Put the beast in for a new CV boot again as previous one had split after being replaced 2 months ago. The guy did it for free no prbs at all.

I called him before I dropped it off for a 6 month service and he quoted £70 plus parts inc VAT. Not bad me thinks so I book it in at the same time.

PIcked it up yesterday and CV boot looks good and theres the usual oil around filter (which looks just like last one but clean), diesel around the fuel filter, oil around filler cap and a new clean filter. All the signs that the service has been done.

When I got there the car was running presummably to ensure fuel filter is ok as he had just done it. Paid the nice man and went home. Checked oil at home (10mins away plus engine running in his garage) and the oil is black. Doesn't look that clear either.

Now question is.....did he do the service or just make it look like he did, with clever use of split oil etc or not? It the black engine oil that makes me wonder. Although trans fluid looks good and all oils are correct level. Plus that clean air filter.

Any comments ? I thought I had a trustworthy mechanic but not sure now?

Mart
    Mart

......surf's up pal!

Dont worry Mart, engine oil in a diesel goes black almost immediately.
    [COLOR=red]Cheers, Darren.

POLITITIANS AND NAPPIES:-
    THEY BOTH NEED CHANGING FOR THE SAME REASON![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Wakesurfer
      Dont worry Mart, engine oil in a diesel goes black almost immediately.
      Cheers mate! I was getting worried that I'd been short changed on the service to fund the Cv boot costs. I have recommended this guy on the forum before and will do so again (by way of an appology) in the dealers section as he obviosuly is a GOOD mechanic. A rare breed me thinks!
      Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
        Cheers mate! I was getting worried that I'd been short changed on the service to fund the Cv boot costs. I have recommended this guy on the forum before and will do so again (by way of an appology) in the dealers section as he obviosuly is a GOOD mechanic. A rare breed me thinks!
        I know what you mean, find a good 'un and stick with 'em. I've used the same one for a few years now, he used to look after my FTO and is spot on (even followed him to another garage).
        [COLOR=red]Cheers, Darren.

POLITITIANS AND NAPPIES:-
        THEY BOTH NEED CHANGING FOR THE SAME REASON![/COLOR]

Comment

Put the beast in for a new CV boot again as previous one had split after being replaced 2 months ago. The guy did it for free no prbs at all.

I called him before I dropped it off for a 6 month service and he quoted £70 plus parts inc VAT. Not bad me thinks so I book it in at the same time.

PIcked it up yesterday and CV boot looks good and theres the usual oil around filter (which looks just like last one but clean), diesel around the fuel filter, oil around filler cap and a new clean filter. All the signs that the service has been done.

When I got there the car was running presummably to ensure fuel filter is ok as he had just done it. Paid the nice man and went home. Checked oil at home (10mins away plus engine running in his garage) and the oil is black. Doesn't look that clear either.

Now question is.....did he do the service or just make it look like he did, with clever use of split oil etc or not? It the black engine oil that makes me wonder. Although trans fluid looks good and all oils are correct level. Plus that clean air filter.

Mart
          The only way to be sure ( also much cheaper) is to do services yourself.I have had to fix too many vehicles after the owners have taken them to a mechanic.If you are not sure about doing a particular service or repair job on the Surf just ask here and I'm sure someone will have the answer.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            The only way to be sure ( also much cheaper) is to do services yourself.I have had to fix too many vehicles after the owners have taken them to a mechanic.If you are not sure about doing a particular service or repair job on the Surf just ask here and I'm sure someone will have the answer.

Neville
            I agree, went to my local Toyota dealer (my 4runner had been serviced there from new) and asked if |I could continue using him as I couldn't be arsed to do it all myself. I told him it was on LPG and he flatley refused saying "it is unsafe for them to service the car due to health and safety reasons"
            "Bo**ocks" says I and finally after showing them what had been done they agreed to service it.
            It went for an 'A' service first thing in the morning as I needed it back by lunchtime. At 13:00 they were just getting ready to drop the oil but instead they dropped the car off the ramps and handed me back the keys (I did a lot of shouting and swearing!!!)
            I found out what an 'A' service entailed and it wasn't what the "nice (but totally uninformed) lady on the service desk said it would.
            Did it myself yesterday, dead easy, all the oils, filters, plugs etc for £50
            I have a happy wife now!!!
            Do it yourself (if you can) it's cheaper
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

On the subject of oil changes, Is it of any benefit to use and engine desludger before an oil change. I've seen them in the motor stores, you put a can into the oil and drive around for a short while before changing the oil. Supposed to loosen any sludge. Anyone used this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                On the subject of oil changes, Is it of any benefit to use and engine desludger before an oil change. I've seen them in the motor stores, you put a can into the oil and drive around for a short while before changing the oil. Supposed to loosen any sludge. Anyone used this stuff?
                Yeah, I used to have a 405 TD and did about 30000 miles a year
                Serviced it every 6000 and threw engine cleaner in before dropping the oil. You don't have to drive around, just put it in and run the engine for about 10-15mins proir to draqining it.
                What grade of oil dou you used for your truck??
                NO WORRIES!
                Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                  I have heard of seals suddenly starting to leak after using these engine cleaners.Changing oil and filters regulary is probably a better option.
                  The only product I have ever added to an engine is Slick 50.I have used it on every car I have owned and believe it works.

Neville

Comment

I have heard of seals suddenly starting to leak after using these engine cleaners.Changing oil and filters regulary is probably a better option.
                    The only product I have ever added to an engine is Slick 50.I have used it on every car I have owned and believe it works.

Neville
                    I think you have a valid point, regular maintenance is the key. Is your truck a petrol or a tractor???
                    NO WORRIES!
                    Rusty

Comment

Mart
                      from what you have said i would say the cv boot that he fitted was a glue together one, even the cheapest cv boots last a minimum of 6 to 8 months, and as for the oil when it has been changed it does go dark when you run it but not jet black like its done 3000 miles, you can tell the difference
                      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                      [size=5][/size]
                      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                        Yeah, I used to have a 405 TD and did about 30000 miles a year
                        Serviced it every 6000 and threw engine cleaner in before dropping the oil. You don't have to drive around, just put it in and run the engine for about 10-15mins proir to draqining it.
                        What grade of oil dou you used for your truck??
                        ive run diesel motors for 20 years and i always use ordinary detergent diesel oil, it keeps the engine clean internally and free from deposits, main thing is change it regular
                        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                        [size=5][/size]
                        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Neville

Only use the flushing stuff for the first change i do then do oil changes every 4 months weather it needs it or not, not used slick 50 but another stuff called Nulon does exactly the same as slick 50.
                          Use it on my old rover, before nulon slight tappety sound on start up after standing all night, after nulon not a sound. PTFE based stuff that sticks all over the engine helping to reuce wear and tear on startup.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                            I think you have a valid point, regular maintenance is the key. Is your truck a petrol or a tractor???
                            '92 Surf SSR-X 2.4 Turbo Diesel

Neville

Comment

Neville
                              I allways use an engine flush before my <regular> oil changes (every 5000km- easy to remember- next due at 130,000K). We had this argument on the old forum- I think an engine flush out is a good idea- others don't. It shouldn't do the car any harm provided you do it each <regular> oil change.

Comment

Working...
                              X