Veg Oil Ive taken the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg Oil Ive taken the plunge!

Ok, im sick and tired of my 15 MPG so i have taken the plunge and opted for the veg oil.

I went to Tesco and bought 20 litres of the finest rapeseed oil at 43p per litre.

Now this is the part im worrid about. I then filled the truck up with 37litres of diesel and then 20 litres of veg oil (57L tank) I then drove it 20 miles and had no problems but do i need to top up the tank with diesel so as to mix the veg/diesel together?

Also as im sure its been said before will there be any damage to the truck long or short term? and can i push it upto 50% veg?
    Kite Surf

15 mpg!!

Originally posted by surfstar
    Ok, im sick and tired of my 15 MPG so i have taken the plunge and opted for the veg oil.

I went to Tesco and bought 20 litres of the finest rapeseed oil at 43p per litre.

Now this is the part im worrid about. I then filled the truck up with 37litres of diesel and then 20 litres of veg oil (57L tank) I then drove it 20 miles and had no problems but do i need to top up the tank with diesel so as to mix the veg/diesel together?

Also as im sure its been said before will there be any damage to the truck long or short term? and can i push it upto 50% veg?
    15 mpg from a 2.4!!! You must have the the handbrake on! Veg soon slops around the tank after a few miles so i wouldn't worry too much. If you read some of the threads posted you'll see that few if any have probs with using veg. Hope your consumption comes down!!

Comment

15 MPG Have you got a heavy right foot?

Is your overdrive working and is your auto box locking when you get over 50 MPH?

That is seriously thirsty. My MPG only goes down to 20 when I am towing the caravan. I get nearer to 26 - 28 on a run without the caravan.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Is your overdrive working and is your auto box locking when you get over 50 MPH?

That is seriously thirsty. My MPG only goes down to 20 when I am towing the caravan. I get nearer to 26 - 28 on a run without the caravan.
        hi phil i only get 15 to 20 mpg dont think im heavy footed but i dont seem to go anywere unless i give it abit stick ,is it best to try and keep the green turbo light off as often as possible or does that not make any differance regards bri

Comment

I never have overdrive on! plus what do you mean about auto box locking at 50. I always keep her below 2000 RPM and under 60mph
          Kite Surf

Comment

try sunflower oil instead of veg oil its £1.40 for 3 litres at tesco or asda a little dearer but it does'nt smell as much

Comment

all you need now, is one of these...
              http://www.needasticker.com/biodiesel.htm#DECALS
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Look at his avatar, its on 33's, thats a quite a drag for a 2.4. I'm not that surprised.

It could benefit from regearing the diffs.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Vegoil initiation

Hmm !

So you've been initiatied !

The next installment you will find after running on VegOil for a while is that you start humming to yourself, softly at first, something like

Ohmm . . . Ohmm . . . Ohmm

Then perhaps you start wearing yellow, hold it.... , no, orange robes, and, maybe, perhaps, sandals.

A vacant yet knowing smile will form itself across your mouth, a bit like the surf smile but more vacant, this once you have passed the "Vegoil handshake from under the knee" stage, and then you bob around the room and start chanting Harry, Harry, Harry Krishna.

Just so as you know now you have taken this step

Peter

Comment

i dont like those stickers,the old bill will get me.

i thought i heard not to use sunflower somewhere?cud be wrong tho.
                    i run mine @ 12-15ltrs to a full tank-o-diesel.no probs,the revs do bounce a bit at idle and slighlty rougher start,only about 3-4 seconds tho.no leaks,funny smells tho.i also get around 20mpg and i think im light footed,like you i hardly ever go over 2500rpm coz the fuel needle will dance its way to the E sign!

peter,are u slightly mental??

Comment

Originally posted by the careful driver
                      Hmm !

So you've been initiatied !

The next installment you will find after running on VegOil for a while is that you start humming to yourself, softly at first, something like

Ohmm . . . Ohmm . . . Ohmm

Then perhaps you start wearing yellow, hold it.... , no, orange robes, and, maybe, perhaps, sandals.

A vacant yet knowing smile will form itself across your mouth, a bit like the surf smile but more vacant, this once you have passed the "Vegoil handshake from under the knee" stage, and then you bob around the room and start chanting Harry, Harry, Harry Krishna.

Just so as you know now you have taken this step

Peter
                      Cant wait, Ohmm....Ohmmm 74ppp per litre Ohmmm Ohmmm love it!
                      Kite Surf

Comment

hari krishna? harry ramsdens, surely....
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Does anyone know of a place (somewhere near Lincoln / Grimsby) where you can buy vegetable oil in bulk rather than supermarkey prices? Not sure if there arte any significant savings to be made but you have to look don't you?

Looked at Bookers but you need to be in business.
                          Cheers

Simon

MPG? Don't you mean GPM.

Comment

at the moment some supermarkets (Asda and morrisons) are cheaper than Makro.

Don't worry about the long-term. My baby has been running on it over a year now. And at higher percentages than you've put in.

Do a search, see my previous posts as well, and you'll find out all your answers.
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Simon811
                              Does anyone know of a place (somewhere near Lincoln / Grimsby) where you can buy vegetable oil in bulk rather than supermarkey prices? Not sure if there arte any significant savings to be made but you have to look don't you?

Looked at Bookers but you need to be in business.
                              I'm sure there's a Rix garage just outside Louth that sells it. Will confirm for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X