D'oh! I put Petrol in my Surf!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'oh! I put Petrol in my Surf!

Leaving work yesterday, nip to the filling station and throw about 15 litres into an empty tank to do me till I get home and get some veggie, off I go happily listing to my sounds.

About 3 or 4 miles down the road the surf starts to cough, than begins to stutter. Oh - oh, for some reason I realised instantly what I must have had done (never done it before - honest) and pulled in, knock her off and have a smell at the filler, yep petrol D'oh.

Had to phone for help, which took 2.5 hours to arrive. Put in 5 litres of veg oil and 25 of diesel. Removed and emptied the fuel filter, pumped the primer with no filter attached until the new mix came thru, refitted and primed the filter.
    Then for the moment of truth, would she start easily? yep, on the first turn of the key! A bit clattery and spluttery whilst idling for the next 10 minutes or so with loads of smoke, then she came clear.
    Straight to the next filling station and filled her to the gills.

Hopefully I've not done any damage to the fuel pump, but all seems well and shes driving fine, no sign of any leaks. Will have gotten a free de-coke out of it too (although not a method I'd reuse ) judging by the amount and smell of the smoke on the initial few minutes idling.

Ah well, must remember, always use the black pump, the black pump, the black pump, the black pump ....
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Originally posted by Morr
    Leaving work yesterday, nip to the filling station and throw about 15 litres into an empty tank to do me till I get home and get some veggie, off I go happily listing to my sounds.

About 3 or 4 miles down the road the surf starts to cough, than begins to stutter. Oh - oh, for some reason I realised instantly what I must have had done (never done it before - honest) and pulled in, knock her off and have a smell at the filler, yep petrol D'oh.

Had to phone for help, which took 2.5 hours to arrive. Put in 5 litres of veg oil and 25 of diesel. Removed and emptied the fuel filter, pumped the primer with no filter attached until the new mix came thru, refitted and primed the filter.
    Then for the moment of truth, would she start easily? yep, on the first turn of the key! A bit clattery and spluttery whilst idling for the next 10 minutes or so with loads of smoke, then she came clear.
    Straight to the next filling station and filled her to the gills.

Hopefully I've not done any damage to the fuel pump, but all seems well and shes driving fine, no sign of any leaks. Will have gotten a free de-coke out of it too (although not a method I'd reuse ) judging by the amount and smell of the smoke on the initial few minutes idling.

Ah well, must remember, always use the black pump, the black pump, the black pump, the black pump ....
    Your very lucky.??

A chap at where i work filled up the Ford Focus Diesal Company Car up to the gills with Petrol and it had to be bled and have the petrol removed by a Ford dealership which cost the company £400.!!!!

I to did the same thing about 10 years ago by putting £15 pounds worth of petrol in a Mercedes 310 Company Van before i realised to what i did.?? so i went and paid for it then filled up with £40 pounds worth of Diesal, which the guy at the counter said didn't you just put petrol in that minutes ago.?? which my reply answer was yes and the van is a combined fuel engine, which takes petrol and diesal.!!

The sad thing about it is that he believed me.?? lol....

But i never had a problem with it at all.?? thank goodness.!!!
    SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by SSRX3.0TDLE
      Your very lucky.??

A chap at where i work filled up the Ford Focus Diesal Company Car up to the gills with Petrol and it had to be bled and have the petrol removed by a Ford dealership which cost the company £400.!!!!

I to did the same thing about 10 years ago by putting £15 pounds worth of petrol in a Mercedes 310 Company Van before i realised to what i did.?? so i went and paid for it then filled up with £40 pounds worth of Diesal, which the guy at the counter said didn't you just put petrol in that minutes ago.?? which my reply answer was yes and the van is a combined fuel engine, which takes petrol and diesal.!!

The sad thing about it is that he believed me.?? lol....

But i never had a problem with it at all.?? thank goodness.!!!

Buy yourself a M35A2 REO, and all your worries are over. They have a multifuel engine that runs on anything that burns. Red, white, petrol, diesel, avgas, paraffin, whatever takes your fancy!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by M35A2; 17 January 2006, 18:27.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        Buy yourself a M35A2 REO, and all your worries are over. They have a multifuel engine that runs on anything that burns. Red, white, petrol, diesel, avgas, paraffin, whatever takes your fancy!!
        cool..
        SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          Hopefully I've not done any damage ...
          You've probably just cleaned the injectors of crud that's all. Did the same thing a few years back- nothing abnormal to report.

Comment

Oh Morr, Hope its not my fault, You wern't thinking about those dammed leds
            were you? Glad you got it sorted, Easy thing to do though i come close a couple of times, Ian
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
            X