yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4000 miles surfing through europe, any pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4000 miles surfing through europe, any pointers?

Its coming up to my familys holiday through france and down to the bottom of spain and back up the long way.
    We have never done it before and cant wait. Now will my old surf be upto the job, ifso what should i keep my eye out for in the weeks before departure? Im planning to get a big service the week before i go but what else.

Cheers
    Kite Surf

Originally posted by surfstar
    Its coming up to my familys holiday through france and down to the bottom of spain and back up the long way.
    We have never done it before and cant wait. Now will my old surf be upto the job, ifso what should i keep my eye out for in the weeks before departure? Im planning to get a big service the week before i go but what else.

Cheers
    only one as far as I am concerned...and I speak from experience (big bang in southern Germany!)
    Ensure you have good european breakdown cover, making sure they will repatreate the motor rather than trying to under value and s**** it abroad. You might need to agree a value before you go. Also check that your cover will provide a hire car back to home - not a channel port. I used the RAC and they were brilliant, however I believe their cover has changed this year, so shop arround, you may have dificulties if your truck is more than 10 years old!! and just noticed it is!
    Best of luck, enjoy your trip and don't be tempted to boot it because you can on the autobahns.
    Oh yes ..don't forget not many garages open in France on Sundays and auto fuel pumps do not accept british plastic, most 24 hr garages go auto after 7 or 8 PM, yep....we got stranded!!!!!!!
    Last edited by fatfires; 16 January 2006, 22:04.
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

You're gonna get through a tanker full of fuel with those tyres too!

Comment

i will be very interested to hear how you get on i am planing on towing a speed boat down there next year my first kid is due soon so had to put the trip back. i went to london and back on saturday to the boat show 520 mile round trip the surf did it with ease used 95 diesel doing 80 t0 90 all the way ther and back,
        www.floatingpontoonsolutions.co.uk

Comment

Cheers
          if you are using the same vehicle you off road with then get all your fluids changed.axls, autobox steering etc. etc. and dont forget spares e.g. bulbs and belts.
          good luck
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

all the previous posts are brill advice -

don't forget, in Spain you need to now carry a hi-vis vest for each front seat pasenger (& yourself) we came unstuck last year and landed a €60 on the spot fine (copper was wearing a gun so I didn't argue!!!!).

Good recovery scheme with the caravan club (if you are towing a caravan). I've just got mine for this summer's trip to France/Italy and standard policy for 6 weeks only £158.

Oh & deep pockets full to fund the diesel. Have a good time

ta

hawaii
            I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              You're gonna get through a tanker full of fuel with those tyres too!
              at 15 MPG which my truck does its gonna be costly!.
              Kite Surf

Comment

Leaving to-morrow 20th Jan, sailing to Ostend and going to Spain with our 1700 + kilo caravan. Hoping for sunshine. Got breakdown cover with Saga which seems to cover everything although not cheap--- you get what you pay for.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by gmac11240
                  Leaving to-morrow 20th Jan, sailing to Ostend and going to Spain with our 1700 + kilo caravan. Hoping for sunshine. Got breakdown cover with Saga which seems to cover everything although not cheap--- you get what you pay for.

Graham
                  Good luck,
                  Kite Surf

Comment

Anyone else got advice?
                    Kite Surf

Comment

don't eat yellow snow

hawaii
                      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Anyone else got advice?
                        yes always stay calm, and always carry a spare. ( the latter is my family motto)

keep plenty of bottles of water handy in the car for everyone to keep drinking.... this helps to stop people getting ratty on long journeys.
                        plus some sweets you can suck.. it has the same effect.
                        Take lots of music, including stuff you can all sing to... its amazing how much more fun it can be if you can sing along to some stupid music now and again.

of course dont forget tools for almost every eventuality. make sure you can repair your tyres not just swap it for the spare.
                        take a large jerry can for "in case of emergency" fuel.
                        she's no angel

Comment

london to scotland

Anyone else got advice?
                          I went to scotland (glasgow) from london 3 times last year in my 95 surf 3.0,no problems, thats just under 3000mls.serviced it before the first trip oil and filter change.i was doing between 70 and 90mph.i hope that is a bit positive for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X