roof rails and roof tents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

So I've got one roof bar (No gutters, clamp on type) as far forward as possible, a second (clamp on) forward on the second door frame with a Thule "short roof adaptor" behind it giving me a third roof bar 70cm behind the second. This would support a sheet of Marine Ply (MP) approx: 2m long by 1.2m wide. By using a fourth Thule bar (not clamped to the roof - ie: free floating) I can extend this to 2.4 m in length. The MP will be held in position by 8 U-bolts. This will give me a 2.3 x 1.22 m platform on the roof. This gives me:

1. A "double shelled" roof thereby making the interior "cooler"

2. Easy mounting of Roof Tent - just bolts onto the ply.

3. Storage for jerricans, spare tyres etc.

4. Mounting for front facing spots and rear facing working light.

For pictures:

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/...r.htm#roofrack
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

if you form a platform as described a small two man tent
      should be able to be fitted to it,even if you have to put a few tucks in the ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
        I want to fit some full length roof rails to my surf so I can fit a roof tent or other stuff. cheers

Jayne
        Hello,

Having followed the links throughout this thread, and noticed some of the hilarious prices these suppliers want, your best bet seems to be...

Follow the bashers advice, and then lash some Argos/whatever £50 two man tent to it.

I liked Vince's tent. How many snakes and creepy crawlies do you get in Croydon, anyway?
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
        X