New Radiator Fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Radiator Fitted

After picking up my new radiator from Toyota on Wednesday, it was fitted by myself on Thursday. I had to take my old one back to Toyota today, to get my £50+vat surcharge back.

The job is very easy, and only took me two hours to take out and re-fit. What took the time was to drain and flush the system, and give the area and parts a good clean. I re-filled it with Toyota Long Life Red coolant. I got 15lts for £30.

Basically, the job involves removing the top and bottom rad hoses, the two aircon bolts holding the pipe to the top of the rad, header tank hose (from rad) the two oil cooler hoses. Unclip the bottom fan shroud and pull out from underneath, undo the four securing bolts and withdraw the radiator from the top, complete with the top half of the fan shroud. I used mole grips to clamp the oil cooler pipes to stop transmission oil leaking out.

She now has plenty of pressure, and the coolant is now expanding into the header tank as it should. The old rad had a crack in the top tank, and was sucking air into the system.

To fill the system, I cut the bottom off a Buxton mineral water 1.5 ltr bottle, and taped it to the rad filler with electrical tape. I then filled the system until coolant started coming out of the block drain tap. Shut that off, continued to fill until the bottle was quarter full with coolant. Then started her up and ran her for half an hour, revving the engine now and again. You can see, when revving, the coolant being pushed into the bottle. I then let her cool down, removed the bottle and fitted rad cap. Run her again to pressurise system, checked for leaks, topped up auto trans oil level and re-fitted bash guard.

It didn't go that well however, as the hose I had on my kitchen tap moved while I was outside. When I came in to get a torch I was greeted with a jet of water spraying onto the kitchen ceiling. The whole kitchen was flooded, and soaked a quarter of my living room carpet. Bo****ks. I spent 3hrs mopping up the mess.

Here are some pictures I took on my phone. They didn't come out that well as I had greasy hands, and took them too quick. But you can see the old and new radiators, and the hole in the front end when removed.

Don't you just love that "brand new, just out the box" feeling!?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M35A2; 13 January 2006, 16:54.

I shall save this post incase I ever need to change my rad.

Good to know Steve at Toyota knows what he's doing with Surfs. Especially as Inchcape are a 3 minute walk from our garage! Apparently my dad knows him quite well too, so next time I need some OEM parts, I wanna discount!
    _______
    /_/ _ | 0\__
    \,...__,..._ /
    _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Good post mate.
      Sorry to hear about the carpet though!
      Had a similar thing happen last time I washed the Surf but it only soaked a roller blind and about half the kitchen floor .........and me as I walked in the door
      That made me mutter a bit
      If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

Belated Thanks

Hi mate,

Just wanted to say - top post and thanks tons. Just what I needed to give me the confidence to give this a go.

Cheers

Rob
        Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
          Hi mate,

Just wanted to say - top post and thanks tons. Just what I needed to give me the confidence to give this a go.

Cheers

Rob

Your welcome.

Let me know how it went? It's an easy job, just time consuming. Hope you get it sorted?

Comment

Top post....

I don't suppose anyone has the equivalent picture of the block drain tap on a 2.4...?

Is it in the same place.....

Let me go and have a look...

Nope, nothing like that on a 2.4...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by AndyLala; 20 April 2006, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
              Your welcome.

Let me know how it went? It's an easy job, just time consuming. Hope you get it sorted?
              Hi mate - sorry for the delay in replying.

Followed your instructions (omitting the part where you fire water all over inside the house ) and the job was straight forward. Took me about 3 hours, and I'm well pleased with the end result.

Cheers again for the guide - much appreciated.

Rob
              Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

That pic of the drain block is so well timed!

I got my rad out at the moment and It's just been returned after having a 4 row recore and modded top tank, iv'e also moved the water outlet over to the far right (o/s) so it dosn't block the inbuilt oil cooler. believe It or not had to do a 1 1/2 " body lift after having done the top tank to get the bonnet shut! Well thats my excuse!!

I get all my parts from Inchcape as I used to work with Steve many moons ago at the main Toyota dealer in Oxford. Top bloke !!

Now to find that block drain tap!!

Cheers

Neil
                www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

[QUOTE=europa88]That pic of the drain block is so well timed!

Drain Block???

Bl**dy Brain block

Neil
                  www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

cool

cool running
                    S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Working...
                    X